Long time reefers advice

xcali1985

Im looking to currently add only soft corals although I do have T5HOs now. Im looking to add a lot of frags to my tank over the next month or so. I currently have Green Star Polyps, Pulsing Xenia, Fuzzy Mushrooms, & Orange Zoas.
Any ideas what to add. I prefer things that are colorful and grow at a decent rate without to much problem. Currently cost is not an issue so list away.

C

clslvr6spd

Just a thought but if you think you are going to step up to sps or other higher end corals pick and choose wisely. I did the same thing and started out with softies(mushrooms). At the time it was my first coral so I was happy about any coral. Now that I have a couple sps, frogspawn, and some nice zoas its become more of a pain. GSP, fuzzy mushroom, etc grow pretty fast and can become a pest.
I see a lot of threads that start with how do I get rid of GSP, xenias, mushrooms etc. If its an all softy tank then load that bad boy up, but if you have different plans down the road just keep the above in mind.

xcali1985

Originally Posted by clslvr6spd
http:///forum/post/3165226
Just a thought but if you think you are going to step up to sps or other higher end corals pick and choose wisely. I did the same thing and started out with softies(mushrooms). At the time it was my first coral so I was happy about any coral. Now that I have a couple sps, frogspawn, and some nice zoas its become more of a pain. GSP, fuzzy mushroom, etc grow pretty fast and can become a pest.
I see a lot of threads that start with how do I get rid of GSP, xenias, mushrooms etc. If its an all softy tank then load that bad boy up, but if you have different plans down the road just keep the above in mind.
Im more a fan of the softies than the SPS, cant say my mind wont change if i see something that just catches my eye and drags me home to do research. Im aware of the problematic properties of some of the softies. Ill be going to the local fish store Tuesday and purchasing at least 5 frags. Ive decided on at least 2 zoas. I want some blue and red mushrooms. ill look into the Ricordea lots of color. I want the tank as colorful as possible.

xcali1985

Ok so I got some Candy Cane (2 frags) I like these and will put one on each side of the tank. Also got a Maxima Clam. And Red Mushrooms. The LFS gets a new shipment in tomorrow ill go back to look for Ricordea. Didn't like the rock that the zoas was on so I didn't pick up anymore of those.

deejeff442

i agree about the zoas .they get to be a weed after no time.i love my ricordeas.this site has a special on them now 10 bucks a piece .
great deal.i would go with some easy yellow polyps i have a 8 inch rock loaded with them and they stand out in the tank.

big

Like others have said Zoa s are a good addition to most any tank. Rics are nice too...I agree, go for some of the more exotics if available, if cost is not a mayor issue.
Quote"Currently cost is not an issue so list away"
OK here is my list, slip me a few bucks for your "Avatar " being it is my tank, glad you like it.....

good luck with your purchases..........

xcali1985

So I picked up some Green, Pink, Red & another type of Zoa. I was also able to actually get a Rose Anemone. on one for free. Sweet!
Thanks guys, they didn't have anything else worth throwing in.