Longest cycle over

tobruk

I just got a negative for nitrites (twice in fact I double checked).
I filled the tank sometime in January I think. Months of watching and explaining what I knew of the cycle over and over again to my friends (who had finally come to the conclusion my wife and I liked an empty tank).
Saturday the frustration finally got me. Nitrites had stayed sky high the entire time. I suspected something was making the tank inhospitable to the nitrite to nitrate bacteria, low ph (7.8) or perhaps the nitrites were just too much.
I drained the tank to the sand bed, scooped half the sand bed aside drained that, then refilled. I was left with nitrites of .5 later rising to 1.0.
I then began adding ph buffer a few days ago. Today I went ahead and tossed in some supplements (calcium and coralvite).
I realize I shouldnt dose for things Im not testing for but after all this time I was at the "what the heck, if this doesnt work I can take the tank out back with a sledge" stage of enthusiasm
Anyways this afternoon it was positive for nitrites so it sure came about pretty quick. Im kinda giddy. Ok im gonna go test it again because I love that pretty blue color.

sly

This may be a dumb question, but have you tested your water that you are putting in your tank? Those nitrite levels seem very high...

tobruk

yeah I did, and unused water comes out clean with a false positive on ammonia (Aquarium pharmacueticals).

sly

That's strange that your pH is that low. Is it that low when you mix your water? Are you mixing your water to 1.024 specific gravity? If your pH is constanty low then it's my guess that that is your problem with nitrites. The bacteria aren't able to survive. I'd look into what could be causing your pH to slip below 8.3. Could be your sand or that car battery you threw in there...
:D

tobruk

lmao yeah those batteries are hell. Everything looks good but ph now. I did read a thread about airing out the house to raise ph so I will give that a go tommorrow curious to see the effect.
store bought RO water plus instant ocean puts me at 7.8 after letting the water settle over night. Im just glad the cycle has finally come to an end.

fishcake

IMO, If your your tank isn't to big and you got the money, do your self a BIG favor and get rid of the headaches by purchasing some boxed catalina water from *****. Then just do changes and topoffs with ro/di water.

tobruk

Sg is at 1.24. Fresh air didnt do much for the tank but the house smells better. As far as mixing salt I add salt slowly to circulating water mix it in then add to tank. Seriously if Im just not bright enough to make sw Im in trouble lol. If I get desperate I will give the premade a try. Thanks

squidd

1. You use "store bought" water (I assume RO) and IO salt and get a 7.8pH...:thinking:
2. You get a "false positive" on ammonia testing the water...:thinking:
3. You have "sky high" nitrites like forever...:thinking:
None of these things "should" be happening...
Ever think your test kit might be "wacked" (check the expiration date) ...try a new/different brand kit...:thinking: