Longnose Hawkfish Compatability?

dah-nah

I have my livestock wishlist for my 150 gallon reef almost completed. My wishlist is;
Cleanup
4 Emerald Crabs
30 Turbo Snails
20 Cerith Snails
30 Nassarius Snails
Fish

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
2 Bangaii Cardinals
2 Engineer Gobies
2 Pink Skunk Clownfish
Copperband Butterfly
Midas Blenny
4 Tiger Queen Anthias
Atlantic Blue Tang
Kole Tang
Mandarin Dragonet
Longnose Hawkfish?
Rusty Angel
Fromia Starfish
I would like to get the longnose Hawkfish, but my question is whether or not any of you think that it is likely to eat any of my other fish?
I've read that they will eat small fish that will fit in their mouths and I'm pretty sure that none of my fish choices are that small, but I figured I should check first...just in case.

dogstar

Originally Posted by Dah-nah
I would like to get the longnose Hawkfish, but my question is whether or not any of you think that it is likely to eat any of my other fish?
I dont...just add it after you put in the smaller species. Good luck with the list.
holidays

crt81

I'd like to know if it is reef safe?
I've heard they can eat small shrimp, but what exactly is small- cleaner shrimp? Fire shrimp? Peppermint shrimp?
Also will they develop an the taste for corals?
I would not think your fish being eaten, wouldn't be a problem. The ones I've seen all seem to have very small mouths, mouths not big enough to eat any of the fish that you have!
Also, can you tell me everything about your copperband butterfly fish. I see you have a reef and when ever I search for them the info given always says reef safe, but nothing is 100% sure. When you read info like that, the info given sure sounds like it is not reef safe!
So any info on your butterfly fish would be great!!!
I just love those butterfly's!

brandon7491

i had a long nose hawk fish for 7mths till the little bugger decided to jump out most hardy fish in the world i had cleaner shrimp with him and never botherd them what so ever

sepulatian

Ha, my beast, 'Sir' Quizzy is basically a short nosed-longnosed hawk. They have the same personality. He is a falco. They are fine with any fish in the tank before them. They will go after any invert or fish added after them. BTW, cleaners are Skunk shrimp. They have no interest in corals and don't pick. Be sure to add him after any small fish. I added a fuzzy lion after him. He tried to be tough but the lion bit him in the tail once and that was all that was needed (no bite marks, but I saw it happen) they swim together now.

dah-nah

Thanks for all your responses and so glad to hear that the concensus seems to be a go for the Longnose Hawkfish...he's made it onto the list

I'd like to know if it is reef safe?
I've heard they can eat small shrimp, but what exactly is small- cleaner shrimp? Fire shrimp? Peppermint shrimp?
Also will they develop an the taste for corals?
From what I've researched about them they are reef safe with the exception of small shrimps. Seeing as I have no plans on ever getting any shrimp that works for me. If you have your heart set on shrimp then I wouldn't advise it for your tank.
Also, can you tell me everything about your copperband butterfly fish. I see you have a reef and when ever I search for them the info given always says reef safe, but nothing is 100% sure. When you read info like that, the info given sure sounds like it is not reef safe!
So any info on your butterfly fish would be great!!!
I just love those butterfly's!
I also really love the Copperband's! Unfortunately I can only give you information based on my research into them as my tank isn't actually set up yet, it's only in the planning stages. They are, for the most part, reef safe and of the Butterflyfish they are the only one that is. They will definitely eat any feather dusters or decorative worms of any kind that you have in the tank making it impossible to keep any. They may or may not pick at or harrass corals, mainly zoos, (they won't eat them) this is a chance I am willing to take myself and the chances are said to be lessened if you make sure that they are fed well. If you're lucky (there are no guarantees after all) they will take care of any aiptasia in the tank and are more likely to do this than peppermint shrimp are. They are very picky eaters so it's best to pick one from the store that is already eating. Ask your lfs to feed it mysis in front of you before you buy and even then you'll probably want to set it up in a QT and make sure that it is eating regularly before placing it in with other fish.
IMO they are so beautiful and my daughter has her heart set on getting one ever since she first saw one that it isn't even a question it's a must have. The risks and effort required are worth it for us. You'll know if it's worth it for you!