Longnose Hawkfish

grabberblue67

Hey Everybody,
I just got a longnose hawkfish from SWF and its a beauty. It's only been in my tank for 48hrs though and I have yet to see it. My question - is this a shy fish? Or I hate to think it - Do I need to tear up the LR to go looking for a dead fish?
Also I have no idea but is this fish more active during the day or at night? I also bought it a red gorgonian to hang out on - kinda feeling like that was a waste now.
Thanks

shogun323

I wouldnt worry either. Some fish may take a week to get used to their new surroundings. Great Fish though! Enjoy!!!

vpotts28

Let him get acquainted with the tank. Its a new place, and it probably needs a few days to adjust. However, these fish are very friendly and have great personality. He will be active day and night. If a few days go by and you don't see him you will have a problem. These fish are anything but shy. He should be the first you see when you look in the tank, and the last thing you see when you go to bed. They love to know whats going outside the tank.

grabbitt

Aside from dropping in some mysis, I wouldn't say there is really anythin you can do to get him out but to wait.
I've got a longnose and I love the little guy. I've got my fish somewhat trained as when I tap the glass with the feeder a few times, every fish comes out waiting to be fed.
The hawk is ALWAYS the first one out. He usually gets so antsy that he attacks the feeder (aka turkey baster) before I even squirt any mysis out.
Hope you see him soon

grabberblue67

Bad news. I got a little antsy this morning when I went to feed everybody and didn't see him at all. So I moved a couple of the corner pieces of LR that I have and did see any movement except all the other fish dart to the other side of the tank. Then I had a thought and don't know why I looked where I looked but he was near the pump and there he was DEAD! Unfortunately, I think he may have made some contact with the spinning parts inside. Don't really know how it made the huge Komakazie jump over there but I'm out a really nice looking Hawkfish. Since I just ordered him from SWF hopefully they will give me credit for him. I've heard they do a lot to make their customers happy which is how I found this site. Thats my story.