Look Down Fish

aiber

What type of fish is a "Look Down" fish? I saw these cool looking fish in my pet store and wanted to research on the net before purchasing. Thank you

neowind

They are schooling fish also if I am not mistaken. I heard they need 300+ gallons but could be wrong.

aiber

Thanks so much for the info. Do you know where I could get info on them....saltwaterfish.com doesn't have any info..
Thank you

D

daniel411

A single full grown look down makes a 300 look like a 90. They are schooling fish, beautiful too, but as Kip mentioned not good for most aquariums.
Even passive fish are tempted to peck away at their dangling fins.
The Six Flags/former Sea World in Ohio has a large school of them in a huge shark tank. They were the only school of fish that carelessly swam amongst very large sharks.

obtusewit

They are also known as Moonfish and are ideginous to the Gulf of Mexico and Southern Atlantic. They grow to about 18" in diameter and defintely like to school. Offshore Texas we see schools of thousands of them. They are very passive and a cool looking fish, but not really suited for a home aquarium, unless you happen to have that 10,000 gallon happening at home.

fishkiller

Lookdowns are aggressive. They need at least 300 gallons when they are full grown and enjoy the company of each other. I've heard of greater success w/ having schools instead of a single fish. I know they are very sensitive to conditions, even barametric fluctuations. Well, more so than most fish.

bdhough

ill second the tank size. my store had one for months and we used to dazzle the customers with the amount of food this guy would eat and how quickly he'd do it. he was in a 90 in that store and kept bumping his head because he'd get so excited when he saw food. they need at least a six foot long tank. they just need space in general. they are very fast swimmers and can easily cover the whole tank in a split second.

cincyreefer

I would agree that they are very aggressive eaters, and I have never had any problems with them being in with aggressive fish. Our school even gives the 16" red snapper and 13" blue line snapper a run for their money.