Look what I got today.

reefforbrains

Great skimmer. ok good skimmer......er um how bout wahooo yes its a skimmer!!!
I have long preached that sea clones ARE good skimmers but it all depends on how you set everything up.
Some folks never get any head to foam or bubbles in the tank ect. They are known for finiky adjustments that seems to be almost random with outcome. This can be frustrating.
Now the good points.
Its dang near indestructable and will last forever.
Cheap
Parts are easy to get if you ever need to.
You can mod the heck out of them and make them into skimming monsters in the bang for the buck catigory.
They are great skimmers to learn how parts, mods, machanics of basic protien skimmers and how they work. with a little tinkering they do jus fine. Just be ready for some tinkering no matter WHAT the box or the guy at the shop said.

[hr]
Just my .02 if you have not used the skimmer yet, then return it.
I just said above they are decent units, but they are not for everyone and when staring at the price of a new one, for the same money or about 20% more $$ you can get a much more consistent unit. This is a key point if you are newer to the hobby. There are much easier brands to get results from in approx same price band. Dont burn yourself out fighting with something you dont need to just to save a few bucks.
If you DO decide to keep it, then most all of us are familiar with them and can answer any questions or tuning/modding tech with you as needed.
Good luck.
-RFB

scopus tang

Originally Posted by GRabbitt
http:///forum/post/2549354
...And the reasons why, perhaps?
To be blunt ~ they suck! Don't get me wrong, I've run them, and still am on several of my tanks cause cause thats the only thing I could get locally for several years, and now I can't afford a better one for every tank. They tend to leak at the joints, the airlines plug up on a very regular basis which means they don't skim effectively, the impellars go out on the powerheads, and they collect salt creep like nothing you've ever seen. For the money, I personally wouldn't buy another one. Truth be told, I just threw several of them in the garbage here about 4 months ago. JMO, but if you can afford it, I'd take that sucker back tomorrow and upgrade.

brewski4u1

i'm running that skimmer or the 150 i'm not sure but it was my first skimmer and i'm having no problem w/ it at all ! i have to empty the cup every couple of days! so i say give it a try and see what happens!

jmick

I'd take it back and ask for a refund. I'd spend a little extra and higher quality product that requires less tweeking and constant adjustments to get it to work (look on craigslist or the big

[hr]
site, sure you can find something). Those of you who defend this inadequate skimmer I have one question. Have you ever compared it to a quality product? If you do, I think you will change your tune.
here is a lot of information from Wetwebmedia, I'd put some stock into what they talk about.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/seacloneskimfaqs.htm

J

jrthomas40

i ran one when i first started and i have the same one in my frag tank now...as said before they are NOT great skimmers but they do an O.K. job...to be honest though i have had more trouble out of my suppose to be better Coralife needlewheel than i have my seaclone and have gotten similar results as far as skimmate removed...the coralife is WAY harder to adjust to get a good skim than the seaclone and it is hard to adjust as well....the next skimmer i get will be an ASM or something of that nature

scopus tang

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
http:///forum/post/2550361
i ran one when i first started and i have the same one in my frag tank now...as said before they are NOT great skimmers but they do an O.K. job...to be honest though i have had more trouble out of my suppose to be better Coralife needlewheel than i have my seaclone and have gotten similar results as far as skimmate removed...the coralife is WAY harder to adjust to get a good skim than the seaclone and it is hard to adjust as well....the next skimmer i get will be an ASM or something of that nature
+1 and amen!

reefraff

Hope you got kissed first

If you got a smoking good deal and it's whats in your budget they will work if you keep up after them. I think Petsmart sells that model for about 70 bux. Having ran a clone and a bak Pak in the pasts I would honestly rather have the clone.

nordy

I only have experience with the seaclone 150 and a remora and I have to say the seaclone is quieter, removes more skimmate, and, as others say, can be a PITA to keep adjusted and maintained. Clean the foam filter once a week, keep an eye on the air bleed, and mine produces a lot of nice gunky foam, a very dark and concentrated skimmate, and no bubbles. A real bargain compared to the Remora IMO.

fats71

Originally Posted by Jmick
http:///forum/post/2550344
I'd take it back and ask for a refund. I'd spend a little extra and higher quality product that requires less tweeking and constant adjustments to get it to work (look on craigslist or the big

[hr]
site, sure you can find something). Those of you who defend this inadequate skimmer I have one question. Have you ever compared it to a quality product? If you do, I think you will change your tune.
here is a lot of information from Wetwebmedia, I'd put some stock into what they talk about.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/seacloneskimfaqs.htm
Well bob fenner who is wet web media is thee best of the best so you should put all your stock into it lol.,
Picture of me and bob and some my buddy eli and his daughter ashly

I am wearing the hat and yes im a hillbilly so the beard was for deer season

Fenner for those of you who do not know which one he is. He is wearing the red sweatshirt.
He sure loves a few beers and even half plowed knows more about swf than most anyone in the world or so thats the rumor anyway.

natclanwy

I have to agree with the comment above if you haven't used a quality skimmer you just don't know any different, I have used skilters the seaclone, a cpr and currently a AquaC EV-180 and there is no comparison in performance for any of them when compared to the AquaC. All of them worked with constant tweaking and modifacations but the AquaC has worked since the day that I plugged it in and pulls about a gallon of dry skimate a week and I haven't touched it other than to clean the collection cup. Even with the skilter (which is probably the worst skimmer money can buy) once I made some modifacations to it I had to empty the collection cup every other day so pulling skimate is only part of the equation I could if I gave it all the air it wanted pull a gallon a day with the skilter but what the point of pulling 98% saltwater and 2% garbage. The key to a good skimmer is the ratio of garbage to the amount of clean saltwater you are getting rid of and then the quantity you can pull out. It would take a month with the cpr to pull same amount of skimmate that the AquaC does.
So to wrap it up I stand by my first comment "Its better than not running a skimmer at all" but you could save you money and you would have a half to third of what you would need for a quality skimmer that would perform better and save many headaches

flricordia

It is OK. I went through 2 of the 150s and 1-100 on different tanks before I finally relized I could have bought a better for less after spending for the 3. I finally turned them into phosban reactors and right now run one with chemi-pur in it.
Put a small power head at the bottom, removed the guts of the skimmer and cut a sponge to go in the bottom and top and put the chemi-pur in between and run it in the sump. Would also work hang-on.
It will work for you just fine, but save in the meantime and get something that has a good reputation and is a little more reliable over time.