Look what I'm doing to my Reef.

skiutah

First, here is a copy of a link to my tank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhqUukB79oQ
Tell me what you guys think of this....
1. I'm adding a system to keep the nitrates down.
2. I already have an automatic dosing system.
3. I already have an automatic water top off, with a float in my sump.
4. I'm adding a smart timer. It has 16 ports on it that I can add formulas too. For example, I can tell it "If the temp. goes over 80 degrees, turn the fans on", "If it's 7:00 am, turn the blues on", "if the temp gets to 82 degrees, turn the hallides off", "if the nitrates are up, turn this on", etc, etc, yada, yada, yada... You get the point? I can tell it to do ANYTHING I want to, based off of water parameters, temperature, lights, etc...
5. I'm adding an online camera under the sump, and 2 in my room, so at anytime of day, I can watch my tank LIVE!! Also, it will display every water parameter I want (Up to 16) Temperature, alkalinity, salinity, and it will also detect viruses such as ick, etc, etc...
6. I'm also adding this feature that if a parameter that I want is set and deviates outside of where I want it to be, it will send a text message to my cell phone and to my guy who takes care of my tank bi-weekly.
What do you guys think? All of this is about 2,500 bucks to do and will be installed in 1 week. These kind of systems have been around for awhile, but this system is a state of the art machine that has had major improvements and was just released last week....
Kind of fun.. kind of expensive... Will be kind of neat to watch my tank from my computer desk live and see my parameters.
One more thing, this system records all of the data and takes new measurements and tests hourly and saves it on a server online..

lecithin

woah I love it! I teach technology education and love to hear about technologies like this! If it works to me its worth it (then again I am into that kind of thing)... tell me how it goes!

skiutah

Yes, it's an extremely high tech advanced system.... I can't wait to see if it actually works...lol

skiutah

Originally Posted by DragonZim
Umm, ich isnt a virus...
Seems like a huge waste of money if you ask me...

Yes, I know... I'm using it as an example..
It's not a waste of money for me, cause I travel a lot and am not home at all to watch my parameters.

toeknee

I think a lot of that stuff is useless, like the live web feed?
save the money the quality of the stream wouldn't even be that great that you would enjoy it and if it was hopefully your network would be able to handle it.
Also I guarantee your fish guy would block your number after the numerous text messages your tank would spam it with.
Why use a server to store your data? more money you waste just save it locally to an external drive and if you are that scared of losing it have another drive mirror that drive for backup.
everything else seems cool

skiutah

Originally Posted by Toeknee
I think a lot of that stuff is useless, like the live web feed?
save the money the quality of the stream wouldn't even be that great that you would enjoy it and if it was hopefully your network would be able to handle it.
Also I guarantee your fish guy would block your number after the numerous text messages your tank would spam it with.
Why use a server to store your data? more money you waste just save it locally to an external drive and if you are that scared of losing it have another drive mirror that drive for backup.
everything else seems cool
I don't have to pay to have it stored. It comes with the system. 3 panasonic cameras than pan, tilt, zoom, etc are about 150 a peice... Just thought it would be cool to look at my tank live, when I'm in a hotel on the road!!

toeknee

Yea I agree it would be cool, but the picture wouldn't be clear enough to "Enjoy" and would definitely be a horrible substitute to the real thing.

skiutah

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
So now we know who bought the only model from the company before it went out of business.

I admit... I'm a sucker. I always want to be the first...

Originally Posted by skiutah
I admit... I'm a sucker. I always want to be the first...
Well in that case, let me be the first to offer you and your company first rights to develop my beach front property in Nebraska.

abethedog

Cool, hope it goes well. I'd love to tune into my tank while at work. That way I can watch my kids fingerprint up the glass in real time. This remote stuff is pretty cool.

peef

To me as a broke individual I wouldn't buy it.....Me as someone who could easily afford it, in a SECOND. I hope it works well and that all the quality is up to par. Good luck and post your link to watch it live when it works. Also what is this magic system called? Do you know how it can test for a disease like ich?

acrylic51

Nice tank........By the way curious as to what your using to monitor your nitrates automatically? The system sounds to good to be true IMHO....There isn't a simple quick fix for stuff like ich, nitrates, phosphates, etc......IMO, it's not something that you can manipulate by a flip of a switch and get a quick fix....Can you clean the tank from remote as well?

skiutah

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Nice tank........By the way curious as to what your using to monitor your nitrates automatically? The system sounds to good to be true IMHO....There isn't a simple quick fix for stuff like ich, nitrates, phosphates, etc......IMO, it's not something that you can manipulate by a flip of a switch and get a quick fix....Can you clean the tank from remote as well?

Yeah, at least it will keep track of levels though... even though you can't fix ich right away....
And as far as cleaning the tank... YES.
All I do is press 8 on my speed dial and say "Go clean my tank and do a water change, now!!"...

wangotango

I've heard of pH probes, but they have ick probes now too?! I guess I'm not as up-to-date with reefing technology as I thought
All kidding aside, it sounds like a nice idea, and a lot of people try to automate their tanks as much as possible. As for me, I actually enjoy working on my tank. That's what the hobby is all about.
-Justin

skiutah

Originally Posted by offsetfactor
Well in that case, let me be the first to offer you and your company first rights to develop my beach front property in Nebraska.

lol... where at? Give me an address. I'm serious too.. PM me.

jonthefishguy

Originally Posted by skiutah
lol... where at? Give me an address. I'm serious too.. PM me.
Obviously you missed the joke. There is no beach front in nebraska. And you never answered my question on who owns that plane you posted in the other thread.