Look What Santo Brought...Oooh...Ahhh

squidd

Ocean Motion "Squirt" 4 way water director..
Gonna use it to replace the SCWD in the reef and gain an additional 200gph (4X) :jumping:

robchuck

Sweet!
Does the squirt come in different discharge versions like the heavy-duty OM 4-way does?

squidd

Originally posted by RobChuck
Sweet!
Does the squirt come in different discharge versions like the heavy-duty OM 4-way does?

Not at present, But a few minutes in my secret underground Lab and I have converted it to "two way" opperation
Will be a direct fit replacement for the SCWD...
Just got back fom the HDWR store with about $6 worth of adaptors and should have it up and running tonight...
"Projected" flow should be:
15 seconds Left (right off)
15 seconds of gradual L to R switch
15 seconds Right (left off)
15 seconds of gradual R to L....etc..
Will confirm with "testing" to prove "calcs", should be right on...
Usually are...:D

squidd

Ok, well that didn't take long at all...
Talking to Paul at OM, before I purchased the unit, we discussed a few ways to convert, mostly with 2 into 1 (or 4 into 2) "plumbing" the outlets...
I wanted a "cleaner" set up so when I got the unit, I pulled it apart, spun the drum a few times to get a 'feel" for it, put a few "scratch" marks where I wanted it to start and stop and fired up the Dremal...
No Guts..No Glory... :cheer:
Satisfied with the drum mod, I added the "fittings" from the Hdwr store and soldered on a grounded power cord...

squidd

The "original setup" on my reef's C/L was a Velocity T-3 pump rated at 875 gph...
Fed by a 1" ID spa flex and 3/4" ID outlets, going through the SCWD I lost around 30% flow, But I figured it was a good "compromise" to gain the current switching effect...
So "as was" I was getting 640- 650 gph to the tank with a 5 second "switching" time...
5 seconds Left...5 seconds right with very quick transition...
SCWD worked well for almost a year, but with SPS now and additional Calcium, Alk and Kalk dosing, pump and SCWD needs more "attention" (cleaning) and SCWD not "serviceable" (sealed unit, can't open to clean or repair...)

squidd

O/M Squirt is fully "serviceable" so I added a quick disconnect to be able to remove and clean...
Using 3/4" slip fit adaptors gives me full 3/4" ID all the way to tank (compared to 1/2" ID in SCWD) Big flow Gain there, plus no "gears" to disturb/restrict flow...
A few minutes later (one hour from opening box, including trip to store) it's up and running...

squidd

Flow is GREAT...:jumping: ...More pressure and more gph (shows in overflow level) and slower "transition" time...3 Positives in my book...
Flow "timing" is exactly as I predicted...
15 seconds Left (right off)
15 seconds of gradual L to R switch
15 seconds Right (left off)
15 seconds of gradual R to L....etc..
The "heavy" flow coupled with the slower "transition" time allows a "fuller" and more "random" mixing of water throughout the tank...
With the SCWD water flowed 5 seconds one way, switch, 5 seconds the other..IE: "Everybody "lean" this way"..."Quick, everybody 'lean' the other way"...:D
The slower and gradual and "proportional" change with the Squirt (100-0, 80-20, 60-40, 50-50, 40-60, 20-80, 0-100)develops a slowly moving "wall" or zone of "random flow" that transitions across the tank...Allowing ALL areas of the tank to get varying flow "pressures" and "direction" as it switches...
Then a 15 second "current" developing flow pattern, until the "Zone of disturbance" washes across the tank again...
This Really "mixes it up" in the tank...:yes:

T

thomas712

This Really "mixes it up" in the tank...

Yeah but how is it with milk shakes

Say not bad Squidd, not bad at all. I also have the Velocity T-3 but mine goes to a spraybar so no scwd or squirt for me but I find those who have been using them facinating, how they DIY them and adapt them to the system. Didn't kip do somthing like this?
Thomas

squidd

Yeah, actually he did a 4 way C/L system with the "4-Way" valve..,(larger "Big Brother" to the Squirt)..
The Squirt is also a 4-way unit, but I only had two "holes" drilled in my tank for C/L and didn't want to go "over the top"
Hence the need to "adapt", "modify" and otherwise take a perfectly good unit apart and turn it into something else... :D

squidd

Originally posted by Thomas712
Yeah but how is it with milk shakes

Thomas

The "bananas" tend to "gum up" the impeller...
Not Reccomended...:nope:
:hilarious

mpls man

Originally posted by Squidd
Yeah, actually he did a 4 way C/L system with the "4-Way" valve..,(larger "Big Brother" to the Squirt)..
The Squirt is also a 4-way unit, but I only had two "holes" drilled in my tank for C/L and didn't want to go "over the top"
Hence the need to "adapt", "modify" and otherwise take a perfectly good unit apart and turn it into something else... :D

Squidd.... can you tell me where you got the ocean motion squirt from, that is what i've been looking for, done a search on them and have not been able to find them yet. thanks for the help.

mpls man

Squidd , i looked at the ocean motion squirt, thank you very much, i was wondering if you know if that would be too much flow for a 75 gal tank running it on the 3 way or 4 way, can you run a smaller pump through it ??

squidd

You can run as low a low as you want, as the unit is "self contained" and switchs flow to various outlets on it's own power and doesn't need "flow" to turn it...
The squirt is designed for lower flow (smaller) systems and is good to 2000 gph, but around 1300 or so needs a "bleeder" bypass to prevent flow from "jambing the drum...
I'm going to try a 1250gph pump with no bypass here shortly...

mpls man

what do you mean by going without the bypass, taking out the bleeder, is this something you need. how has the squirt been working for you ? I was planning on running it on a mag 300 or a mag700 not sure what to go with, i was going to run it with a outlit on both ends of the tank with u tubes over the top with pvc , do you think this will work well ?? this way i can have the pump in the the sump directing the water flow back to the tank then back to the pump, kind of like a closed loop, without having the tank drilled, what do you think of this idea?? thank you very much for the help....Dwight

squidd

You don't "need" the bypass till you get over 1000gph (somewhere arond 1300gph the "stock" unit tends to jamb due to pressure on the drum)
With a Mag 3 or 7 you should be fine..
And yes, you can plumb a closed loop or from the sump return OTT..

mpls man

Great, thank you very much for all the help, i plan on getting 1 soon, i will keep in touch when i get it for further questions. :happy: