lookdown fish

h2oski

I was just at the Baltimore aquarium and was very impressed with their lookdown fish. Can anyone give me more info on them.

twoods71

Not a very popular aquarium fish.
I did however see one for the first time at a LFS. The thing was as thin as a pencil if not thinner, very strange looking fish.
I believe they grow to around 16" so they would need a fairly good size tank.
They are a schooling fish and believe they are a member of the jack family making them a predator.
And they are very pricey. Around $70 for a small one.

alleyesonme

they get huge, and theyre an open ocean fish, which means that you need an enormous tank to keep them happy. probably in the thousands of gallons.

grouperhead

never had a lookdown, but have caught tons of them fishing. the lookdown you are referring to is either Selene vomer(lookdown), or Selene setapinnis (Atlantic moonfish) it is extremely hard to tell the difference b/w the two. they are both very predatory, feeding on shrimp, fish, squid, etc. they are very common around bridges, jetties, etc. they are also nocturnal. world record is 4lb 10oz. for an aquarium, at least 200 gallons might work. probably need around 300 though. if you have a large enough tank it might work out. if you do get one, dont get anything that can fit in its mouth. bo
[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Grouperhead ]

grouperhead

alleyesonme, im not sure what you are referring to, but i dont think its the same species of lookdown. could you describe to me what you are talking about, because im not sure what fish you are talking about. the first thing that came to mind was the sunfish a.k.a mola mola which feed on jellyfish, but im really not sure. bo

tonga

they get very big, they are a very deep water fish, they will only survive if they are in schools, so i'm guessing you would need over a 8,000G tank to house them.. and yes, if you do house them, you need to dedicate a aquarium to them they are species only. Better off left in the ocean, imo.
[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: tonga ]

amphiprion

The local Petworld has 5 of these fish each for $80.00. Some poor unsuspecting novice will probably buy one and live to regret it.

grouperhead

ok everyone is talking about a different lookdown. the one im referring to in no way would need an 8000g tank and is a shallow water species. what is this huge lookdown? do you have a scientific name for it? i know of only one lookdown and thats Selene vomer. do a search on that, i almost can garuntee you thats the lookdown. i dont think lfs get fish that need 8000g tanks. bo

tonga

no, you don't understand what I'm saying. They need to be in huge schols, I am good friends with one of head aquarists at Atlantis, they have a 10,000G lookdown system, Trust me they get huge, and need tons of space to thrive. The LFS` usually get juvi ones in, the picture above is the lookdown I am talking about. Sci. Name: Selene vomer ..they sometimes range from shallow too deep water thus explaining they are found everywhere from maine to Uruguay. If you ever get a chance to go down to Atlantis, check out their Lookdown tank, and you will get a real appreciation for how much space these fish need. They look alot like the Selene setapinnis which is a member of the jacks family.
[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: tonga ]

grouperhead

ok, thanks for the clear up. yeah they do go around in large schools. i thought you were saying a single fish would get that big and need that many gallons, but you were referring to a school. thanks again for the clear up. bo
[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Grouperhead ]