Lookin for a new fish, Coral Beauty?

integral9

I've got a 55g Reef that's been up for over a year now and I have been really thinking about getting an angel. I've heard they can be nippers, but I also here some aren't. I've been thinking about getting a Coral Beauty, but have been on the fence about for so long I can't decide any more. What do you all think? If not the coral beauty, then what?
55G:
75lbs LR
4" Sandbed
Fish:
2 Black Percs (mated & hosting)
1 green mandarin
1 purple firefish
1 Scopas Tang
Inverts:
Hermits (various)
snails (trochus, margaritas, cerith)
unkown abelones (just gray)
3 Porcelin Crabs
1 skunk shrimp
1 red shrimp
1 black limpet
1 teddy bear crab
1 indian pistol shrimp
Corals:
Kenya Tree
Green, orange, yellow, blue zoos
Green, yellow, blue, orange ricordia
hammer
torch
yellow gorgonian
LTA
Pompom Xenia
Brown Buttons

kanicky

I'd suggest either a Coral Beauty or a Pygmy Angel. They're both beautiful, but the Pygmy isn't as shy as Coral Beauty's seem to be.
They can be coral nippers, but I've had my Pygmy for five or so months now with no problems... knock on wood!

A

azul1994

Yeah you could do a coral beauty in that tank, but eventually the scopas tang will outgrow the tank, but for now it probably should be fine.

integral9

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep em coming.
I forgot to mention a few things. I've so much it's hard to recall them all.

They are:
purple spotted mushrooms
green striped mushrooms
green star polyps.
I fully expect the scopas to out grow the tank. He was a rescue from *****. I wanted to vindicate myself for loosing a whole tank's worth of fish by trying to save that guy. I got him 50% off and covered in ich. About a week later he made a turn for the better and is now one of the best looking scopas i've seen. Originally, I was going to take him to my LFS and trade him in once he was healthy, but I had an algae problem in my 55, so I put him in there hoping he would take care of it. Unfortunately, he only ate flake for the most part. But I like him in the tank, he's the king and since he's peaceful he keeps the peace.
Say hello to Woodstock aka "Woody" (white spots are on the glass, not fish.

grabbitt

Some coral beauties can be coral nippers, as can most dwarf angels (not sure why), but it's always hit or miss.
My flame angel fortunately could not care less about the coral that surrounds him (phew
)

integral9

Originally Posted by GRabbitt
Some coral beauties can be coral nippers, as can most dwarf angels (not sure why), but it's always hit or miss.
My flame angel fortunately could not care less about the coral that surrounds him (phew
)
I think the flame angel might be my second choice behind the coral beauty. It is a very colorful and bright fish and that is what I am going for. Is your tank's coral population similar to mine?
Does anyone have a coral beauty / flame / pygmy angel that nipped their corals? What did it nip at? Does anyone know what corals angels like to eat?

deltablack22

Originally Posted by Integral9
I think the flame angel might be my second choice behind the coral beauty. It is a very colorful and bright fish and that is what I am going for. Is your tank's coral population similar to mine?
Does anyone have a coral beauty / flame / pygmy angel that nipped their corals? What did it nip at? Does anyone know what corals angels like to eat?
I have a beautiful Coral Beauty but rarely see any that look any good around here. Cant go wrong with a flame. My next one will be a flame.

integral9

Originally Posted by rara12
Get a lemarks angel, almost no chance it will nip.
Thanks for the rec. Very tempting. Makes me consider going black and white w/ my fish and leaving the color to the corals. Might make a striking contrast in the tank...

anonome

I have a coral beauty in a very populated coral reef display. Other than her attitude......very bossy towards new fish, she is a great addition to the tank. Always out and about, and extremely colorful.
I have seen her nip at my kenya tree coral, but to no harm, it still multiplied all over my tank. Other than that, she has not touched or harmed anything else. Like I said it is jammed pack with softies, clams, LPS, BTA and tons of polyps.
But, to be on the overly cautious side a bellus or lamarks angel is the best bet.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by Integral9
I've got zoanthids, mushrooms, a pipe organ, kenya tree, candy coral, pulsing xenia, plate coral, button polyps... No problems with any. My flame couldn't care any less about them

integral9

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I think I will get the coral beauty and see what happens. I think I'll put it in my fuge for a couple of weeks to test things out. If it doesn't work out, I think I'll go with the lamark's.