Looking at a 29g saltwater tank.

pat713

Currently, this tank is freshwater, but I'm looking at converting it to a saltwater tank.
I have an Emperor 280 filter and 10k lighting. What I'd like to start out with is LR/LS, a couple corals/plants, a clam, and inverts. I'm wondering though, would I need stronger lighting for the corals than the 10k or would it be sufficient. I know for Anemones I'd need to go VHO or even a whole new lighting system, but for now I'd be happy without it. Once I look at getting fish, I will be investing in a protein skimmer, or, if I have the funds, ditch the 29g and use it as a sump.
Thoughts?

pat713

Ok, I now know I need better lighting, what I have currently is 65W and for 29/30g I'd need about 125-150W. Now to call the LFS to find out if they stock anything I could use.

nissan577

ok. well first you wont need a skimmer. if you do proper water changes you will be good. what type of corals do you want to keep? softies, lps, sps? which?

pat713

I'd like to do a mix of SPS, and Softies, maybe some mushrooms and zoos as well. My main thing is I'd like to have an anemone one I'm ready to add fish, as I'll want a clown pair.

pat713

I could put LPS instead of SPS, if that's what you mean. But as far as tank size and lighting, I'm working with limited funds.

nissan577

Originally Posted by Pat713
http:///forum/post/2968245
I could put LPS instead of SPS, if that's what you mean. But as far as tank size and lighting, I'm working with limited funds.
you can keep lps with that light but not sps. since they need lots of light.

pat713

Another lighting question, the kit I posted previously would work on Anemones as well?
I'd prefer either the Bubble Tip or Sabae.

pat713

Another PH question, would 2 work better than one to give the tank better circulation? What I mean is, have one PH moving water in front of the LR and another moving in the back.