Looking at a clam

kanima

Just need some info from the experts.
90 gal All-glass
48 nova extreme 8 54 watt t5's with ati's and uvl's
what clam can i keep under these.

nycbob

ur t5 doesnt hv individual reflectors. if ur water is good with proper calcium and alk level, then any clams will do as long as u keep it near top.

tdog7879

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2830328
ur t5 doesnt hv individual reflectors. if ur water is good with proper calcium and alk level, then any clams will do as long as u keep it near top.
hey nycbob what about under a nova pro 6x54 in 26" deep tank?

mkzimms

how about a clam in a 40G breeder with two 4x39w (8 bulbs) T5HO novas with ATI bulbs. im successfully keeping sps at all depths.

nycbob

Originally Posted by dplantz
http:///forum/post/2831245
Anyone read the crocea clam disscusion?
yeah i have. nothing against candycane, but we r talking about 3-5 years b4 candycane said clams will start to deteriorate under anything but mh. so far, all of my clams r doing fine under t5. they r growing. i guess we wont know until 3-5 years later, whether candycane is right.

afboundguy

Personally if the T5 doesn't have indiv reflectors I wouldn't put a clam in unless it's right at the top of the tank. I have someone from my local club who has a 8x54w fixture with parabolic reflector. I'm in line to get the clubs light meter tomorrow and want to compare his fixture to my 4x54w retro with indiv reflectors. I do have better bulbs that the other guy but I'm interested to see how big a difference it actually does make...

candycane

The areas that become bluer on older Croceas are similar to the rainbow color pattern that are seen through water that may just be laying on the ground. It's just like refraction to an extent. But the Iridophores on the mantle are blue and group together for a reason. They form other areas called schemochromes that direct light into the iridophores which is where the majority of the zooxanthellae tend to "gather".
Here's an easy way to figure it out. If you want - Look at a close up of a crocea mantle and try to count all of the little bumps from the full eyes all the way down to the pin sized ones. Then look at a Gigas, Maxima, Squamosa, Derasa and count them (if you want - to me it's fun). In 99% of the cases, there are going to be hundreds if not thousands more around a croceas' mantle. Granted maximas are not that far off, but their coloration patterns tend to direct light easier. Croceas are just "made" for certain depths with certain lighting. I've just been doing A LOT of work with them lately. And am hopefully heading down to the Keys to do more.
I have even been wondering if I breed Croceas and innoculate them with a less light intensive zooxanthellae, if that will have any effect on their long term survival.