Looking at an Aqua C Remora

nick76

Well its about that time after 9 months im ready to start adding corals to my reef. After seeing how much bioload my Filter media is pulling out and how often I need to change the filters I think its time to make the switch to a Protien skimmer.
Right now im looking at the Aqua C Remora Pro Protien Skimmer, The One for 75+g tanks because right now I want it to go on my 55g but I plan on doing a switch to a 95g within the year.
My Questions are.
The setup comes with a few different choices as in pump wise and drain fitting as extra?
the three pumps are..
1.) Maxijet 1200
2.) Rio 1400
3.) Mag 3
Ok so the mag 3 is obiouvsly the best choice but is it needed? Right now im not running a sump but when I switch to the 90 i will be so does that matter?
Also is the drain fitting upgrade nessesary?

thegrog

Good choice for a skimmer.
Go with the Mag3, the extra power is needed and the pump is more reliable than the other two.
I would go with the drain fitting personally. Saves having to always drain the cup daily...especially when going out of town for a weekend. Just run a hose to a gallon jug and empty that every week or so. If you don't use it right away, just cap it.

smork81

Originally Posted by TheGrog
Good choice for a skimmer.
Go with the Mag3, the extra power is needed and the pump is more reliable than the other two.
I would go with the drain fitting personally. Saves having to always drain the cup daily...especially when going out of town for a weekend. Just run a hose to a gallon jug and empty that every week or so. If you don't use it right away, just cap it.
I 2nd that! I have the same set-up with the remora pro on my 55g. It is doing a great job thus far.

pandafish

Originally Posted by Nick76
Well its about that time after 9 months im ready to start adding corals to my reef. After seeing how much bioload my Filter media is pulling out and how often I need to change the filters I think its time to make the switch to a Protien skimmer.
Right now im looking at the Aqua C Remora Pro Protien Skimmer, The One for 75+g tanks because right now I want it to go on my 55g but I plan on doing a switch to a 95g within the year.
My Questions are.
The setup comes with a few different choices as in pump wise and drain fitting as extra?
the three pumps are..
1.) Maxijet 1200
2.) Rio 1400
3.) Mag 3
Ok so the mag 3 is obiouvsly the best choice but is it needed? Right now im not running a sump but when I switch to the 90 i will be so does that matter?
Also is the drain fitting upgrade nessesary?
If you have the room I would go with the Mag 3, and a Surface pre filter box. The more water you run throught the skimmer the better. Skimmer placement is as important as pump size. IMHO the best place is drawing unfiltered surface water from the DT. Drawback being you have a Mag3 with a Filter box in the DT!
I run a Remora C Nano and a Urchin and Get about 1/2 collection cup of skim every 3 days. So with a HOB skimmer. I would get the drain fitting just incase of an overflow.
The maxijet 1200 (Urchin) does ok...but when I go to a new Sump I will have more room to run a Mag 3.
If you are planing on going to a Sump in the near future, I would wait and get the Urchin Pro with a mag 3 and keep your DT less cluttered.

jdog5578

I bought a used AquaC Remora a few days ago. It is the regular one with the MJ1200 pump. In the first hour I needed to change the cup this thing produced so much waste. 4 days later I t produces about 1/4" of waste every day. Its all Dark yellow nasty stuff too. The only other skimmer I have had is the seaclone and there is no comparison the AquaC blows it away.

dragonzim

I've got the regular remora with a MJ1200 on my 75 and it works great. If I was going to buy it again, I'd probably get the pro with the Mag 3, but all in all, its a great skimmer. The best thing about it is that there is no adjustments that have to be made like there are with many other types of skimmers.

nick76

Thanks guys n gals

Well im deffinatly getting one soon and the only problem I see is that my 55g is pretty cramed with rock so theres no real room to fit in a large pump...let alone a filter box to fit around it. Hmmm... I may have 2 downgrade the pump because of that. o well.

blood shrimp

I have one with the maxijet and it works great. I also just purchased the skimmer box which adds to the performance even more but this thing is ungodly huge.

A

alix

i swear by my remora and maxijet, it is god! i think it works perfectly fine with the maxi, unless you just like spending money.

omagbanua

I have bought the remora protien skimmer w/maxi-jet pump I find it does'nt collect anything and is very loud yes it is only one week old and they say the break in period is about 2 weeks does anyone else have this problem?

rbaldino

Originally Posted by omagbanua
I have bought the remora protien skimmer w/maxi-jet pump I find it does'nt collect anything and is very loud yes it is only one week old and they say the break in period is about 2 weeks does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Remora on my 29 gallon and it works great. It started pulling gunk the first day, but that's probably because I gave it a good cleaning before installing it. It is a bit noisy at first, but it will quiet down. I've seen one on another tank that's completely silent.