Looking for a bartender ... any on here?

tangman99

Ok, I'm a Crown Royal person and not much into mixed drinks at all, but last night at dinner I ordered a Long Island Iced Tea and I really liked it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make them myself at home. I found so darned many recipes on the web, I'm not exactly sure which it the original ingredients. I think the traditional has:
1/2 oz. Vodka
1/2 oz. Gin
1/2 oz. White rum
1/2 oz. Triple Sec
1/2 oz. Tequila (can be omitted)
Splash of Coca-Cola
1/4 oz. Sweet and sour
Lemon wedge
If this is correct, I know the liquor can make or break a drink. Now for all you liquor connesuers, what is the best brands of each liquor mentioned to buy. Nothing rediculously priced, but I don't mind paying for good quality.

lovethesea

This is in my handy dandy bartenders book
1/2 lime
3/4oz OJ
1/4 oz triple sec
3/4 oz white rum
3/4 oz gin
3/4 oz vodka
cola
squeeze lime into a collins glass. add ice, pour in liquors and juice....stir well, fill with cola
they are good, but you can get schnockered really quick

fishychick

okay, now we are going back a few years....
it was late at night and nobody much cared...
equal parts vodka (I would use Grey Goose), rum (bacardi just fine), gin (Tangueray), and Cuervo Tequilla -- oh yeah dekypers triple sec makes it a little more citrus, splash of coke and throw in a lemon.

sparkles12

1/2 oz Tequila
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1/2 oz Gin
1/2 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Rum
Fill almost all the way with sour mix
Add a splash of Coca cola
Squeeze a lemon on top
Make sure you follow the order it tastes better this way. I was a bartender for almost two years.
As far as brands go here's the best IMO:
Tequila: Patron Silver- but it's kind of expensive
Triple Sec: doesn't matter
Gin: either Tanqueray or Sapphire
Vodka: Either Smirnoff or Absolut, Grey goose is awesome but it's a bit expensive
Rum: Any light rum will do, does't have to be white rum though (try Malibu light)
I promise it will taste really good if it's made right!

tangman99

Originally Posted by Sparkles12
1/2 oz Tequila
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1/2 oz Gin
1/2 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Rum
Fill almost all the way with sour mix
Add a splash of Coca cola
Squeeze a lemon on top
Make sure you follow the order it tastes better this way. I was a bartender for almost two years.
As far as brands go here's the best IMO:
Tequila: Patron Silver- but it's kind of expensive
Triple Sec: doesn't matter
Gin: either Tanqueray or Sapphire
Vodka: Either Smirnoff or Absolut, Grey goose is awesome but it's a bit expensive
Rum: Any light rum will do, does't have to be white rum though (try Malibu light)
I promise it will taste really good if it's made right!
Ok, my first attempt at this was not the best. Very Alcohol-ly tasting. Here is what I did which is probably wrong. I made two drinks out of this for me and my wife.
Filled metal shaker half way with crushed ice
Put ice in the two glasses for the drinks to chill
Added 1 oz of each of the following. I don't rememer what order but I think it was this:
1 oz grey goose vodka
1 oz Bacardi White Rum
1 oz Jose Cuervo Gold
1 oz dekypers triple sec
1 oz Tanqueray Gin
2 oz Mr & Mrs T Sweet and Sour Mix
Shook it up for about 30 seconds vigorously. I've read that the more you shake it the better and I've also read to give it one huge shake and stop.
Poured out into 2 glasses, added splash of coke for color and lemon slices.
It did not taste like what I had. I added an addition oz of Sweet and sour mix to each glass and that made it a lot closer but still pretty alcohol-ly.
Any advice from you experts on what I can do to improve it?
Thanks for the help.

fishychick

Definitely looks like you are on the right track. When I bartended, I made them not in a shaker but in a tall bar glass (I am guessing it was 6 oz.), so maybe it was a bit more than a splash of coke and sour mix. I did use the shaker on top to shake it all around.
I promise if you keep trying -- they will taste perfect right before you pass out.

sparkles12

Try putting in less tequila and vodka (like maybe 1/4 of an oz each) and a little more sour mix and cola. That might make it taste a bit less like alchohol.
Also...instead of shaking it try either stirring it or just flipping the shaker upside down and then back. That might help a little too.

tangman99

Originally Posted by Sparkles12
Try putting in less tequila and vodka (like maybe 1/4 of an oz each) and a little more sour mix and cola. That might make it taste a bit less like alchohol.
Also...instead of shaking it try either stirring it or just flipping the shaker upside down and then back. That might help a little too.

Looks I need to work on this a little bit. I'll give it another shot over the weekend after I put the power tools away.