looking for a couple new fish

iidylii

Oh I completely agree I justvhave a hard time spending $300-$500 on a fish...I really like the idea tho

lmforbis

They are beautiful but they are also difficult and tend to be really aggressive. Larger fish are also harder to acclimate. The young ones take to captivity better. But yeah that is a pricy one.

jay0705

I agree with imforbis. Certain fish need some size to survive reliably. Hippos come to mind, but i prefer to buy small and let them grow. Achilles are generally large ish , or atleast the ones for sale. Same with tusks. Thats one on my list, but there always really big. I would prefer a 3 -4 incher.
You can stock a big tank on the cheap. Just have to watch for sales. Or on DD go w blemish fish. Generally its just a fin

iidylii

I agree with imforbis. Certain fish need some size to survive reliably. Hippos come to mind, but i prefer to buy small and let them grow. Achilles are generally large ish , or atleast the ones for sale. Same with tusks. Thats one on my list, but there always really big. I would prefer a 3 -4 incher.
You can stock a big tank on the cheap. Just have to watch for sales. Or on DD go w blemish fish. Generally its just a fin
Very true...I’m scared of hippos...they always seem diseased or something of the sort

jay0705

OMG!!!!! Buddy lol it took me 5 yrs and a bigger tank to finally pull the trigger. Even then ich got my first try, 2nd try and all is well. They do seem more susceptible to hhle tho. So you need to soak the foods and lots of veggie based foods. Beautiful fish tho. Grew like a weed to about 5-6" then has slowed way down.
If you do ever get one its one fish you must be ready to treat. Either with hypo or copper. A qt is a must!!
Honestly i was scared shitless to get any tang when i started bc of ich. Never had an issue w any besides the first hippo.

lmforbis

Never wanted a hippo for that reason. Ended up with my tiny one (the size of a dime) accidentally. I’ve had her over 2 years and no issues. Breezed through 30 days QT then went straight into the 125. Held her own from day one. Never thought she’d make it through QT she was so small. Didn’t even have any blue color when she arrived.

iidylii

ok back to the more fish I could get topic...from past experience I think adding different types of cardinals to already existing cards is kind of a with caution thing? I know there ok together just wondering about adding after the ones have been in there so long...again just curious looking for more smallish fish options to add for fillers

iidylii

I’d love a saddle puffer my only issue is the teeth growing thing...is this as much of a concern as ppl make it to be? If so how hard is it to deal with?

jay0705

I've had mine about 2 yrs. Np. I do feed it clams on the halfshell, and it gets shrimp meant for the lion

iidylii

yeah ill probably go with a saddle puffer....are the yellow tail damsels little bastards? Also what exactly does it mean when it says for instance salon wrasse "terminal phase"?

iidylii

So I did a little more research on the “terminal phase”. What I found is that it means the male has reached a point at which it can not revert back to female...this also probably explains why my male lyretail anthias stopped changing into that brilliant purple that they are supposed to eventually get to...inhad a trio of anthias and one of them of course started to change colors but then the other 2 females died and now it looks like the one that was changing is actually reverting back to her original boring orange lol...anyways thought this was interesting and wanted to share

iidylii

So I don’t understand something...maybe u guys have an opinion...the red head doesn’t have a male/female picture or option to buy but as u know some of the other wrasse do as in the couple examples below...I assume since there is no option this means it shouldn’t matter weather male or female because they all basically look like the picture?

https://m.***********.com/product/369/red-head-solon-fairy-wrasse?pcatid=369&c=15+1378+369

https://m.***********.com/product/2847/hooded-fairy-wrasse?pcatid=2847&c=15+1378+2847