looking for a good powerhead

andreyv

Kelly,
have you looked at Tunze Turbelle nanostream?
Model 6025 gives 660 gph is out for sale and can be found on the web for around $60.
Not a big difference from Seio 820 in price but is smaller, comes with the
magnet holder (no suction caps) and looks really nice.

maelv

Originally Posted by AndreyV
Kelly,
have you looked at Tunze Turbelle nanostream?
Model 6025 gives 660 gph is out for sale and can be found on the web for around $60.
Not a big difference from Seio 820 in price but is smaller, comes with the
magnet holder (no suction caps) and looks really nice.

AndreyV, do you know if these PH would work on a 135 or are they too small? Thanks

andreyv

Originally Posted by maelv
AndreyV, do you know if these PH would work on a 135 or are they too small? Thanks
I have two in 75G in upper corners pointing down to the middle of the tank.
There is plenty of water movement in 4’. For 6’ 135G I would wait for 6045
to hit the market or get 3 of 6025. Of course if money is not an issue I would
go with 6055 – they can be controlled.
I am a newbee but from what I’ve read so far you have to set amount of water
movement to suite the needs of your tank inhabitants:
SPS – more than 30x
LPS – and softies 20x-30x.
FOWLR – 10x-20x.
HPH.

gary1328

Just received my Tunze's ----2 6000's with a controller, this allowed me to get rid of all 7 of my Seio's and maxi-jets.
They are a bit bulky, but I have a 6 foot long 125 gallon and they really keep the flow up and the debris always circulating.

mbx5

Originally Posted by maelv
I think they would be to small for a 135 JMO. In my 150 I have 2 6100 streams on a controller and want to add 2 more. You can tel them how to work so no need to run all at one time.

J

jrthomas40

ah man...im so confused i dont know what to do :( ....i have a 90g and only current in the tank now is the mag 5 return....i dont want all the power heads in the tank but i want to keep my corals happy and according to you all i will need 3600 gph...i want to keep as much out of the main tank as possible...is there another way???

reefkprz

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
ah man...im so confused i dont know what to do :( ....i have a 90g and only current in the tank now is the mag 5 return....i dont want all the power heads in the tank but i want to keep my corals happy and according to you all i will need 3600 gph...i want to keep as much out of the main tank as possible...is there another way???

put on another external pump so all you have is the pickup line and returns sticking into your tank you can buy one big one and split the return many times to get multi dirtectional flow out of it. you can even by mechanichal switches that will alternate flow but I am onder the imptression that these fail often due to build up and arent worth the money.

J

jrthomas40

i have thought about putting another external in the sump and just plumbing another spout...hopefully my next sump will be a 29g tank that i plan on building myself....i thought about using pvc pipe with a capped end and multiple holes drilled to force water out but i wasnt real sure how well that would work i think it would creat multiple small streams creating a swirl effect when they encounter the output from the return

andreyv

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
i have thought about putting another external in the sump and just plumbing another spout...hopefully my next sump will be a 29g tank that i plan on building myself....i thought about using pvc pipe with a capped end and multiple holes drilled to force water out but i wasnt real sure how well that would work i think it would creat multiple small streams creating a swirl effect when they encounter the output from the return

According to the specs your Mag 5 gives 310gph at 4 feet head.
If your 90G has 1” bulkhead as an intake it can handle 600gph.
So you could add another Mag 5 to your sump or get more powerful
pump to match your bulkhead capabilities.
I run Mag 9.5 with fully opened ball valve.
At 4’ it should be 800gph and I have no problem - so either 1” bulkhead
can handle more than 600gph or my Mag does not really push 800gph.

1knight164

According to the specs your Mag 5 gives 310gph at 4 feet head.
If your 90G has 1” bulkhead as an intake it can handle 600gph.
So you could add another Mag 5 to your sump or get more powerful
pump to match your bulkhead capabilities.
I run Mag 9.5 with fully opened ball valve.
At 4’ it should be 800gph and I have no problem - so either 1” bulkhead
can handle more than 600gph or my Mag does not really push 800gph.
AndreyV. I'm new at this. What is meant by "310 gph at 4 feet head" and "1 inch bulkhead"? :notsure:

andreyv

Originally Posted by 1knight164
AndreyV. I'm new at this. What is meant by "310 gph at 4 feet head":
310 galons per hour(gph) at the 4 feet from pump going up.
Mag 5 pump is capable of producing 500gph but it looses some power when you
have to push water up and through elbows, ball valves, etc..
Originally Posted by 1knight164

and "1 inch bulkhead"? :notsure:
1 inch bulkhead – is diameter of bulkhead, the “thing” that you put in to the predrilled hole on the bottom or the side of your tank.

1knight164

310 galons per hour(gph) at the 4 feet from pump going up.
Mag 5 pump is capable of producing 500gph but it looses some power when you
have to push water up and through elbows, ball valves, etc..
1 inch bulkhead – is diameter of bulkhead, the “thing” that you put in to the predrilled hole on the bottom or the side of your tank.
Got it! Thanks!

J

jrthomas40

i think i have decided to do one large pump split 3 ways...it will either be a mag 24...2000 gph at 4 foot split 3 ways (left middle right) and would be 666.66 per return +/- some for elbows and valves...i am a little sketch on the mag 36 it will be be 3200 at 4 foot and split three ways is 1066 per return which would be pushing it for my bulk head

michael_t

I finally got my Tunze Nano Stream the 2025 (I think). I love it. The simplisity of the the design is fraking awesome.