looking for a good wavemaker

fishtanker

i want to get a wavemaker on my dispaly tank..i currently have 6 maxi-jets (3 on each end) and want to set up a wavemaker that will alternate each side in 6 hour intervals. i'm not too familiar with wave-makers so any ideas would be very helpful
brian

aarone

they sell some in the form of power strips that let you decide how long the interval is. about 70 bucks i beleive.
aaron

saltaddict

They make wave makers that can change from a few seconds to a few minutes. But you sound like you want to just turn off every few hours from one sde of the tank to the other. In that case I would just go to Home Depot and buy a 6 dollar timer and put each strip on a timer that way you can have the timer alternating your power strips. On mine I actually bought the kind that you can place these small plastic strips that either turn off or on. I bought three and use the extra clips to create off on cycles that take 1 to two hours. It all cost less than $30.

fishtanker

is it better to have them alternate for every few minutes? i'm basically trying to replicate "surge zones" for my achilles tang. the tank is a 125gal FOWLR. what would be the best way to set something like this up?
like i said i'm ignorant with this stuff ;)

overanalyzer

Originally posted by waterfaller1
A SQWD device would work..and there is no heat generated,Or power needed,you could then do away completely with your PH'S.I am seriously leaning in this direction.

I have a SCWD and it is really nice - but he already has the powerheads .... not sure of the exact specs of the fish you are speaking of - but you would need a good alternating current - not just switching the flow every few hours.
If you wantto get rid of the powerheads I would look @ a mag drive pump and a SCWD and a spray bar or some lock line outputs

D

daniel411

Originally posted by waterfaller1
A SQWD device would work

???

Hey that wave2k on that site sound awsome Beckzilla...
Fishtanker, I have a red sea "wave maker" it works great. I have 4 maxijets in my 75gl. it operates 4PH's at 8 diffrent modes it cost me around $170. The 6 outlet type that cost around $70, only has for 3PH's and the other 3 outlets are for regular electricity... So good luck...

cprdnick

I'm not an engineer, but I'm pretty sure that most PH's aren't designed to be turned on and off at that many intervals every day.