Looking for a link that will tell how to cycle a fish only tank for the first time.

mmync

Hello everyone, I just set up about a 180g acyrlic tank and dont know where to go from here. As of right now all I have is a Sealife systems premier series w/d. A rio 2100 pump, some salt and what i believe is some small crushed coral and what I believe is (2) 18" or 20" bulbs. I am not sure on the wattage or anything else of the bulbs. All they say on it is radionic hi-tech Ff15T 8 AQ. So basically everything is hooked up and the tank is just pumping water. I would really apreciate it if you can point me in the right direction as far as what else I need to buy and how to cycle the tank for the first time. Also maybe you can attach a link of a good place to do some reading and learning abou this kind of stuff. Thanks in advance everyone.:)

jakob4001

this site has a lot of info you can sift thru...simply use the search feature or there is the fish discussin board as well.
well 1st would be of course to take your time, do the research on what you want/need to buy, ask for other people's opions, than decide for yourself...
I would remove the crush coral actually unless you want to spend more time on clean up...replace w/ sand...maybe add Live Rock which can aid in filtering the tank as well as adding biodiversity to your tank...it can also help to cycle your tank and you can also add a couple of uncooked cocktail shrimp to your tank...as they break down, it will help to cycle your tank w/o using unwanted fish to cycle the tank
good luck

ocellaris_keeper

I would suggest that you get the water temp to 78 degrees.
I've outlined a system that will work for Fish only and a reef tank that keeps work and hardware to a minimum without sacrificing water quality. This method is called "American/European" method.
I have been reading and researching for three years and have learned that you MUST ignore people who think lots of filtration is the answer!!
Here is what you should do to keep your tank as close to natural and maintenance free as possible:
Get enough South Down Sand (from Home Depot) to give you a 1" base of sand on the bottom of your tank.
Get plastic/nylon window screen (NOT metal) and cut to fit on top of the 1" sand.
Get enough South Down sand for another 1" above the screen.
Purchase LIVE Sand (from this site) for another 2" - This will make a 4" Deep Sand Bed seeded with Live Critters that will act as your bio filter and keep your nitrates to zero. ($150.00)
Purchase 120 pounds of Live Rock (this gives you the final touch to the bio-filter.
Get some Power Compact Lights (about $100.00)
Get two Powerheads ($50.00)
Get a cheap ($30.00) filter at any pet store and throw the filter media out. Buy chemi pure ($5.99) and stick that in the filter. (this is for crystal clear water)
and a Protien Skimmer ($150.00) Berlin Protien Skimmer
And you will have an ecosystem that is easy and once established takes care of itself.
Hope this helps.
Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any more specific questions about this technique: bruce_collins@yahoo.com

Hi,
I got impatient like a lot of us and after (7 days) & 5 days of 5 damsels swimming around I decided to get some stuff called CYCLE. It is a liquid that adds GOOD bacteria to your tank.....
7 days after using cycle you should be good to go! Keep up the water checks too..........
Anyone here ever used this???
Thanking you kindly, Kim

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What is the purpose of the nylon screens???
I would suggest that you get a good hobby book. I'd recommend, "The Consciensious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. This is an excellent book for beginners as well as knowledgable hobbyists. It is very detailed, but easy to read. Lots of great pics of tank setups equiptment, the "how tos" etc. You won't go wrong by reading this book.
Patience pays when starting out new in the hobby. Knowledge first, though, then Fish. :D

jakob4001

I think w/ the nylon screening, he is suggesting a plenum be set up...wether using a plenum is beneficial/detrimental will require some research on your part, & of course you would have decide...most aquarist seem to avoid using plenums anymore though

ophiura

Kim,
Cycle doesn't hurt, but IMO it is best to spend the money on another pound of LR instead. It works well in freshwater tanks, but not in 7 days (so I can't imagine in a saltwater tank)....and I wouldn't risk an expensive fish on it.
Patience is the golden rule in this hobby, and there are very few successful shortcuts.
Cycle is not a refrigerated product with an expiration date, which means that any bacterial cultures in it may not be all that active. It basically helps to innoculate the tank. The better alternative is LR and LS.
There is a new product called Biospira or something that is refrigerated and supposed to work well, but I haven't tried it and am still suspicious of such "overnight wonders."

kev

I have used this in all my tanks, and have cycled them all in under 2 weeks. It mainly just helps the cycle process(how could live nitrobacter and nitrosomonas hurt a tank?) Now I wouldn't just fill up a tank and dump some cycle in and put a fish in there though... :D