Looking for a new heater. Need opinions!

awilson500

I recently upgraded my tank to a 90gal, and I was running a Visi-therm Stealth heater and I love it. The only problem is that it isn't keeping up the temp at night. I like to keep the temp around 79.5 and in the morning it has been around 77.2. So I'm on the hunt for a new heater and i have been looking at the Jager 250w. Does anyone currently use this heater and if so does it keep up? I am running about gallons total volume.

scsinet

Assuming you meant to say about 90 gallons, and assuming you have a 250w heater now, the reason why your heater is not keeping the temperature up is because it's undersized, especially for your location.
On a 90g tank in Indiana, I'd run at least 500w.
If you've got a 250w visi-therm right now, don't replace it, add another one just like it.

gregzbobo

I second what SCSInet said, a 2nd heater adds a little insurance in case one fails you still have some heating capacity, and if one gets stuck on, its less likely to overheat the tank (because of the lower wattage per heater as opposed to a single high wattage unit) before you notice and take it out of service. Both are highly unlikely to fail or get stuck on at the same time.