Looking for lights, have a question about length

biggredd

I have a 125 gallon tank that is 6 feet long. I am not sure what kind of lights I want but I know MH are not in my future due to price. My main question is do I need to get a single unit that is around 60 inches long or should I get two smaller ones or will one 48 inch cover me? Not really sure what my options are and what size I need.
I am going to build a canopy and plan for the lights to be around 10" off the water or so I plan to make it around 14" high.
This is the last thing I need to finish off my tank.
Thanks

dogstar

If there for a custom canopy then search sites for retro fit kits. IMO if you will want a reef in the future then spend the bucks for MHs. Cheaper in the long run. Just some thoughts.

biggredd

What size should I be looking for though? would a 48" spread the light out at the ends since that would only be 6"'s of tank on either side of the tank to light up or do I need a bigger light than that?

fishy7

Hey bigg,
My tank is 6' long. Go with a 72" unit. 48 is not going to cut it, to short and will not deliver sufficient light at the ends. :thinking:

biggredd

Should I buy one large light or two smaller ones, and if so what size should the two smaller ones be so they fit properly?

lazarus

can i jump in here? what about pendants...no way do they extend across to top of any tank but they must beat a bunch of light across the tank anyway..right?

fishy7

Originally Posted by Dogstar
IMO, Dont get a complete fixture for a costom canopy, get retro's.
Great advice-wish I knew this when I bought my lights.

ccg24

well for one thing to remember on that is don't buy lights that are 60 in long........ they wont fit... your tank is 72 in long...... I have a 135 that is exactly the same dimensions and I was making the same mistakes the only difference in our tanks is my glass is thicker and is 1 inch taller....... but I would recomend buying two seperet units at 36 in thats how mine was I found it to be cheaper for me

coachklm

well i got 2x coralife 36" 2x96w for my 6ft tank... and if i need to retro ..nothing a screwdriver cant do....

biggredd

Great. I will go to home depot for my 132,845 time and get the housings there and buy the bulbs at the fish store.

lazarus

so a generic housing can accommodate a VHO or PC bulb? that would be good news to me as well, since i have not bought anything yet!

pontius

one other thing Biggredd, unless you're going with metal halides, the lights don't need to be 10 inches off the water. 4-5 inches would be enough space for any light other than MH.

biggredd

Thanks. My plan to start is to buy two generic housings from home depot, 36 inches each. I will buy one white and one blue bulb for each, antic or whatever it is. I have it written down at home which ones I will buy. Then shortly down the road I will combine a PC light as well. I plan to build my canopy with the lights around 4 inches high as you mentioned and probably build the canopy 10 inches tall so I have the room if I need it. Should be way easier than the monster stand I built.

tonypal85

Here are my recommendations, from personal experience of course:
First we need to know what type of tank you intend to keep? What is your budget for lighting?
I assume you are building a canopy correct? If I were you I would build the canopy higher so that you have the option to upgrade to MH's in the future. Typically with MH's you want about 10 inches of clearance from the bulb to the water line. The metal halide fixture itself will usually be about 5 to 6 inches tall when it is mounted underneath your canopy. So if you build your canopy to accommodate MH;s but instead have VHO's or PC's you can still build a small frame inside the canopy to hang your VHO';'s or PC's closer to the water.
Definately get a retrofit unit to mount inside your canopy. However, I would go with the 72" unit as suggested, since your tank is 6 foot long.
Hope that helps any.