looking for mantis shrimp

shiby1510

I'm going to setup a small tank for a mantis shrimp.... if you have one i'll give it a good home instead of someone sending it down the porcelain express.

moondog

Hey, I am new to the saltwater realms, I have a 75 Gallon that has been setup for about 6 months, and I noticed the infamous clicking sound recently. Today I came home, and saw what I beleive is a Mantis. I will try and get a pic if I can, better yet if I catch him, I can send him to you.

shiby1510

Very well could be. They like to hitch a ride in LR. There are a lot of ways on the forum on how to catch them too... I've heard of people using pantyhoses and also a 20oz pop bottle with the top cut and inverted. If you are planning on setting up a reef you will want him out of there. I'll give him a great home! Thanks!

moondog

I have heard alot about the soda bottle, I may give that a try. Currently my setup is mostly just live rock, I bought some zoa's and they worked out great so far, I am just excited just to have anything saltwater, I have kept cichlids for about 8 years now.
I don't know if it means anything to you on what type or size the mantis is, but I caught a quick glimpse of him, and it had purple eyes, and a dark purple body, probably and inch to inch and a half long, but it was in the shadows, sitting there taunting me. I saw something balled up on the most recent rock I added, I thought it was a worm of some sort. Guess not, I also noticed one of my peppermints missing, and quite a few hermit shells now empty.

nina&noah

I recently had experience with catching a mantis. I used a water bottle and cocktail shrimp as bait. I always heard to try to catch him at night, but it never worked for me. I put the trap out during the day with the lights on. The key for me was to stay away from the tank, but to keep a distant eye on it. That way when the mantis went in the trap I was ready to get it out. The problem with trying to do this at night is that Mantis shrimp are very intelligent and can get out of the trap farely easily. It took me months to catch mine!
I also want to add that mine didn't ship well. He died shortly after arriving to his new home.

shiby1510

Moondog: It sounds like a sweet mantis and the exact size that I'm looking for. You may want to try to get him out sometime soon unless you don't plan on stocking your tank right now with anything besides corals. This includes a cleanup crew. He is safe with corals but as you have seen, he will act agressive towards other inhabitants; mainly shrimp, snails, crabs.. it's safe to say your cleanup crew will quickly diminish with this little guy in there.
nina: thanks for the info. Could you go into a little more detail on the shipping method and how you packaged him?
Thanks all!

moondog

I have not heard from him in a couple of days, normally he starts clicking as soon as you walk into the room. I still have the 5 snails in my tank, and now I have noticed that the pile of hermit crab shells I had have all gotten up and walked away, I only see two or three empty shells at this point. I am still dissapointed about my pepermint shrimp. If he/she shows its face again, the trap will go in.

moondog

Just an update, the mantis is still in the tank, it was running all over the rocks last night. The rock it seems to "host" in is like 25 lbs, without redoing my aquascape, I cannot take it out, it is too quick to run out of it's hiding spot anyway. I have put the infamous water bottle trap in, and I have caught my peppermint shrip once, but no mantis yet.

shiby1510

Originally Posted by Moondog
http:///forum/post/2699269
Just an update, the mantis is still in the tank, it was running all over the rocks last night. The rock it seems to "host" in is like 25 lbs, without redoing my aquascape, I cannot take it out, it is too quick to run out of it's hiding spot anyway. I have put the infamous water bottle trap in, and I have caught my peppermint shrip once, but no mantis yet.
good luck
These guys are smart

shiby1510

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/2698392
A local shop in my area has an awesome bumble bee mantis for sale.
It's too bad you are not closer.

that guy is sweet... I'm actually looking for a smasher though... but i know if i saw him i probably would decide otherwise

moondog

Finally the hunt is over. I admit he was too smart for the trap, but not smart enough, he went into a hole in the smaller of the two rocks, and I quickly pulled the rock out. He didn't like the freshwater dip at all, I will see if he makes it through the night.

shiby1510

Originally Posted by Moondog
http:///forum/post/2700091
Finally the hunt is over. I admit he was too smart for the trap, but not smart enough, he went into a hole in the smaller of the two rocks, and I quickly pulled the rock out. He didn't like the freshwater dip at all, I will see if he makes it through the night.
Cool.. let me know the progress... a pic would be cool too if he lives.