looking for reccomendations for wet/drys...

scottyc

can you guys reccomend some good wet/dry systems for my tank(72 gal bowfront, not drilled) fowlr. i'd like to buy a complete system w/overflow,skimmer,pumps etc. any and all info is appreciated,thanks

dskidmore

Most people around here would advocate a sump rather than a wet-dry. The skimmer and live rock should take care of your major filtration needs, the sump gets all the equiptment hidden below the tank, and sometimes can be partitioned off for a refugium.

scottyc

i looked at the famous auction site,lol, dont see any. can you reccomend some brand names/models of sump systems?

dskidmore

A sump can be a fancy one like the one Blemmy_Guy is recomending, or it can just be a spare aquarium, or a rubbermaid container. Spare aquariums are easiest to modify, you can get glass or plexiglass squares from your local hardware store and silicone them in for any baffles or compartments you want. Rubbermaid containers are the cheapest option, $5-10 to add water volume to your aquarium and move equiptment out of sight without the fancy stuff.

dory36

Hey, Blemmy_Guy! Even though this wasn't my thread I took your recommendation and bought myself one from that auction place. My lfs recommended that particular brand and was asking $189 just for the wet/filter! I hope it works well!
:)

blemmy_guy

Me too!! just kiddin, mine works great and it really was a great deal! i buy most of my stuff from SWF.com im sure they dont mind us talkin or buying a few things elsewhere,especially when u get such a good deal!! good luck, let me know how it works, e-mil me at toddmyers39@yahoo.com thanx todd

djian

how does the venturi Protein Skimmer add up to the rest...ie Euroreef or etss?:confused: :cheer: :happyfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What type of tank are you aiming to achive? If you want to move towards setting up a reef, then don't waste money on a w/d. These systems are good, but only to an extend. Bottom line, they don't complete the nitrogen cycle and the end result is the battle of the nitrates.

blemmy_guy

Well the Venturi skimmer seems to be doing a hell of a job, im really impressed. Now ive only seen 1 other type ( dont remember what type it was) but it definately seems to be working real well.
Hope you all are doing good!! cya soon Todd.
Hey there Dori! im from Ardmore, just 100 miles norht of ya!! just thought i would throw that in there!!

blemmy_guy

i think you have agreat idea there, of course i like that product, but i would love to and probly will do the same thing in the near future. todd

blemmy_guy

its only been up and going for a week now, but ive already seen diferences in water quality, my bio balls are just getting green on them, and so far ive had no problems with nitrates, but i have some corals, which help lower this. Todd

dory36

Todd, I'm actually 25 miles north of Dallas, so you're probably only 75 miles away from me! Got any good lfs up there? I'm SO excited about my new wet/dry/skimmer. I wonder if it's going to come this week or if I'll have to wait until after Thanksgiving!?!
:jumping:

blemmy_guy

:D No theres not one here what about down there, im guessing your around Denton ?? sre there any good lfs around you. Todd