Looking for Refugium/sump plans

S

spoiledogz

I had found an old thread with some very detailed plans...but I can't find it anymore.
Have a 72gal and about to make a refugium from a 30gal. My tank is currently running a wet/dry filter system.
Can anyone help me with some plans??
Thanks in advance!

frankthetank

It can be pretty simple. Just have to use baffles to direct your flow. How do you want it to be set up? Skimmer-Fuge-Return? Skimmer-Return-Fuge?
Either or is fine.

frankthetank

Ok... your's is like mine. Really quite simple.
Do you have a drop in the sump skimmer? I have an Urchin that I just drop in the sump.
Your baffles can be 12" high. Run one baffle seperating the skimmer section from the fuge. Then a 12" baffle seperating your fuge and return, with a hanging baffle about 1" or so off the bottom as the final baffle (bubble trap). The final baffle can be a little taller, say 15" inches or so.
I placed my heater in with the skimmer... I have a maxi jet 400 tumbling the cheato in the fuge, and your return pump sits in the return section.
Waht other questions do you have?

S

spoiledogz

what all do you have in your fuge and what about lights??
Thanks for the info so far!

frankthetank

I have some lr rubble.. about a pound. My fuge isn't that big, 8x10" area of my 18g sump. And since it's so small, I just bought a coralife aquaminilight with 6700k bulbs.
I have cheato and some caulerpa macro algae and a 3" sand bed.

limitedslip

basically, my mini sump, its a 5.5 gallon, but I thought a picture of baffles would help
. anyway, as you can see, the lefthand side is the intake, the baffles seperate the center w/ liverock rubble and chaeto, and the right is the return, if you increased the size of mine, you could fit a Protien skimmer in the same spot as the intake. I could get better pics later...as my comp w/ the camera hookup decided that the motherboard wanted fry

anyway, hope that helps.

mchabot

Forgive my newbie question but what is the difference between a drop in sump skimmer and one that hangs off the side of the tank. I have a seaclone that I inherited (I know most people don't like them and plan to upgrade later). Can't I just hang it off the side of the sump / fuge I build?
Thanks,
Matt
Originally Posted by FranktheTank
Ok... your's is like mine. Really quite simple.
Do you have a drop in the sump skimmer? I have an Urchin that I just drop in the sump.
Your baffles can be 12" high. Run one baffle seperating the skimmer section from the fuge. Then a 12" baffle seperating your fuge and return, with a hanging baffle about 1" or so off the bottom as the final baffle (bubble trap). The final baffle can be a little taller, say 15" inches or so.
I placed my heater in with the skimmer... I have a maxi jet 400 tumbling the cheato in the fuge, and your return pump sits in the return section.
Waht other questions do you have?

andy51632

Drop in the sump skimmers just go right in the sump no hanging needed. They usually are more efficient and are recommended over a hanging model. Also if you have a problem with it and cup overflows it goes into the sump instead of on your floor. If your like me that means alot since this has happened to me quite a bit.
I am pretty sure you can use your hang on but remember that your sump water level wont be as high, so you will be pumping water farther up to get to your skimmer. This could decrease efficiency. you may have to go with a bigger pump feeding your skimmer.