Looking for some advice...

manycolors

I have a 50 Gallon "Show" tank, 30 wide X 18 long X 18 deep. I currently have a 24in. NOVA VHO (4 bulb, 2 actinic, 2 10K). I am buying a coralife 250W pendant MH for the tank. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to run both the lights together? I also dont know much about metal halides, so I have a few questions on those, How far do I hang it above the tank? is it ok to go through glass with it? How long do I leave the MH lights on? and is there anything else i need to know?
I am open to peoples opinions and facts if you have any....

flower

Originally Posted by ManyColors
http:///forum/post/3040687
I have a 50 Gallon "Show" tank, 30 wide X 18 long X 18 deep. I currently have a 24in. NOVA VHO (4 bulb, 2 actinic, 2 10K). I am buying a coralife 250W pendant MH for the tank. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to run both the lights together? I also dont know much about metal halides, so I have a few questions on those, How far do I hang it above the tank? is it ok to go through glass with it? How long do I leave the MH lights on? and is there anything else i need to know?
I am open to peoples opinions and facts if you have any....
You don't need the PC lights and the MH lights. It will take a short time for the tank critters to adjust to the MH lighting
. So just have them on for maybe 3 hours and increase each week by 1 hour. Just run the actinic for the rest of the time you want the lights on.
With a pendant...
... on how high off the tank.
MH bulbs are very sensitive. Use gloves to handle the bulb or a paper towel. Also if even a tiny drop of water touches the hot bulb it will burst. I placed a piece of glass across the tank just below the MH bulbs in my tank as a precaution. Those bulbs run around $60.00 - $70.00 each.
I do not cover the whole tank with glass, that could cause a greenhouse effect and super heat the tank. Also be sure to run fans to keep things cool. MH lights are hot and heat the tank up. If you use fans it helps allot.
Hope this helps.

fanker

vho or t5ho? as for the patent they have a glass over the bulb so no worries on that remember thought the mh will only be a spot light really u might be better off getting 2 retros or something and about 8-12" off the water is the normal, and yess i think the coralife come with a 10k bulb so it will be white get 2 more actinics in the nova and u can keep those lower, with that u should be able to get a 14k look

manycolors

ok, thanks for the help... my next question is, How do I hang it? I do not have a hood for my tank, and if possible, I would like to find a way to hang it without one