Looking to add coral.. can I ??????

saltfish123

I have at the moment a 125 fowlr that has a sump/fuge 100+ lbs of live rock a light which iam not sure of the type ... 2 bulbs one blue one white reflectors around the bulbs ( long strips)...... the only thing in my tank that would bother coral would have to be the juv. emp angel or the racoon b-fly is there any type of coral i can get ??? jw b/c i wanted to add so color to my tank.

lion_crazz

Both of those fish are notorious coral pickers. Coupled with the fact that you do not know what kind of light you have, I would definitely hold off on any corals.

saltfish123

i pretty sure its a power compact iam not sure b/c the vho, t-5 thing confuses me and the setup i have, i was not able to find online

lion_crazz

Power compact, VHO, and T-5 are just three different kinds of light set-ups. Look on the bulbs. See if they have a wattage on them.
How many bulbs are there total and how long is your light fixture?

saltfish123

my light fixture is 72" length of tank with two sets of twin bulbs, iam waiting for the light to cool down cause i just shut it off to further search for wattage

russianspy

No, 96w won't cut it for a 125. I have the same size tank and 72' VHO's, but mine put out 160w each. As far as the lighting for corals go it's a no. You might be able to update by just buying new VHO's but you'll have to check if your fixture can accept higher wattages
You'd want a minimum of 3 watts per gallon

saltfish123

but according to you min rule iam okay ( correct me if iam wrong) 96watts x 4 lights is 384watts and 125 x 3 is 375 so i should be ok ??????

lion_crazz

That is not a bad light then, but I would still be worried about the fish you have in there picking at corals.

russianspy

Originally Posted by saltfish123
but according to you min rule iam okay ( correct me if iam wrong) 96watts x 4 lights is 384watts and 125 x 3 is 375 so i should be ok ??????
I'm sorry, I thought you had 2 x 96w lights. You have enough light maybe for a LPS and enough for shrooms. But i'd worry about those fish eating anything

saltfish123

yea i have to remove to emp angel down the road so i'll probaly take out the b-fly too, so maybe corals down the road..........