looking to add mh to my 55 gal

hariii2

Hey, I am looking for mh light on ----. I found some that I like but I am not sure what I need. So what is the best for a 55 gallon tank? 2 X 175, or 2 X 225? And they only have 10K and 13K. I think that I wanted 15K or 20K. Any comments.

jb rekit

the 2 175's would give you 6.3 watts/gal and the 225's would give you 8.2 wpg. Both would be more than enough. If both were priced about the same, I would get the 225's just b/c I could upgrade to a larger tank with those later.

nas19320

I've never even heard of 225's, are you sure they are for aquarium use? If you want to do SPS's go with dual 250's, that would give you good color and growth. If your planning on focusing on LPS and softies you can go with 175's and save a little money.

nas19320

It will be mostly personal preference. There isn't all too much of a difference between 10K and 13K, 13K will be a little more bluer than the 10K which will generally be whitish/blue. If your not gonna run any supplementation I would go with the 13K's.

hariii2

I was hoping to get more replies to this. The guy offers 10K and 13K lights. Which one would be better? The 13K would have a bluer look right? Too blue? I will also still have my regular flurecence lights. and my moonlight.

saltcreep

I would go with the 250's I put 175x2 on my 55 and want to move them to my 125 but I need 250s. As for the 10k 20k thing I like it blue but the 20k seem too blue for my taste. I go with the 10k and supliment it with 220 vho. Looks more like the ocean at noon time

stapler

I have a 175w 20k on my 30g....and it looks great. Its not really that blue to me...and I run 110w 50/50 PC along with the MH.
If you can, got with the 250's. The more light the better.
Also, dont rate lighting by watts per gallon...that really doesnt mean anything.

saltcreep

You will find that it is a pretty much even split between those who like the 10k or 20k. It really is a preference thing. I loved the 20k until my wife wanted me to as she puts it " tone down the blue a bit" So I went to the 10k and have gotten used to it. Now the 20 seem so blue. But If I put them back in, I would like them just as much after I got used to them again. You really would need to see both side by side to see which you like better. I do find how ever that 10k looks more like the ocean but the 20k seem to bring the colors of the corals out better......

dallas1432

Do you know who the manufacturer is on the 13K bulbs??? Never heard of 13k, heard of 14k. A friend of mine ran the 12k and didn't like them and switched to 14k and really likes them. I think the 10k looks more natural though!!!!

msd2

I have a 55 and run 175, if u bounce it up higher expect to run a chiller because your water is gonna heat up!