Looking to see how many People have a top or topless tank!!!

antwon

topless! lol which is better though cuz i am getting a snowflake eel and heard that they like to escape the tank

hawkfish203

Yea it all depends on what you have in it. With a eel id def have a top. I Just took mine off my reef. Just looking to see what everyone else is doing.

monsinour

I have no fish in mine, but i have the top on. I will be getting leaper fish so I will continue to have a top. Oh yea, there is a canopy on top of that as well.

flower

Topless now. I have a canopy that I removed the hinged top from so I could hang my lights. It looks nice but it’s open.
I used a glass top for a long time. The biggest issue was salt. Because the water is turbulent it splashed on the glass and blocked the light, it also developed a green slime algae on it.. It got so incrusted it wouldn’t come clean.
It also caused the temp to rise. I took the top off and I will never put another one on. If I had jumping fish, or an eel, I would go with a mesh cover.

spanko

There is also a corner connector made from vinyl that I cannot find a picture of but look like these metal ones.

And of course the 3/8" pond netting.

I used 3/8 inch and double layered it. I had it single layered but my first yellow Head Jawfish jumped right through it. So now instead of one layer of a 3/8 inch square opening in the net i have the two layers crossed so that the square is a box with a X in it. You can see what I mean in the picture.

You can order 1/4" pond netting on line, however I did not only because I did not know if the fish would still be able to launch itself through the square hole. I was really surprised one day when my wife had my 2 year old granddaughter call me at work and tell me that the new jawfish was all dried up on the carpet!
all the supplies were from Lowe's except the pond net. They may even have that.
Don't have a full pic of mine but here is one another reefer made from the plans I gave him.

If you have a square tank it will be much easier because we had to trim for the bow front of the 29 biocube.

S

saxman

If there are no jumpers in the system or some other compelling reason to cover the tank, we always run topless. The tanks run cooler and have better gas exchange.

mony97

No big jumpers in my tank, but I still use egg crate (light diffuser) just in case, and am still allowing for better gas exchange. I also have a canopy as a second just in case..

sean48183

No top for 3 years and no problems until last month when I lost my 4 year old snowflake eel and my little perc. Still not using top though. If I get time might make spanko's lid. Used light diffuser for a couple years but decided it made my tank look dark.

levinjac

does the netting hold in the light and how did you place it on your biocube(spanko) I wanted to get netting so my fire fish couldnt jump into the filter again and almost die

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanKid http:///forum/thread/380922/looking-to-see-how-many-people-have-a-top-or-topless-tank#post_3319867
With top, I', afraid that they might jump over and afraid that my cat would catch them lol

If your cat goes fishing you have a problem. Once a cat finds out there is tasty food in the tank there is no stopping it. Most cats don't like water so never figure out how to get the fish.
I have noticed that with moonlights the fish are not as apt to get spooked and jump at night. Fish tanks are full of bullies, the big fish pick on the smaller fish..it's just the way of life. Moonlights lets them see who is sneaking up on them, and they don't do the crazy dart and kill themselves. So I think getting moonlights may help. I also have a canopy which adds to the height they have to jump to commit sushi.
I didn't like the top or egg crate..too much salt buildup and THEN the lights were blocked.