Looking to start a 120 gallon reef tank

Jwambach19

Hello All,

Im brand new to the group, you guys threads have been popping up in my google searches and I decided to join! Anyway I am looking to start a 120 gallon reef tank and am brand new to saltwater tanks. I know a 120 gallons may seem large for a beginner but I would like to do it once correctly to work on, build and enjoy. Ive figured out that i need the tank, live rock, live sand, salter water, a sump, protein skimmer and lights. What I am looking for is a list of products that you may have used to start up your tank. As for pricing I know this stuff gets expensive and am looking for mid grade products nothing over the top fancy and nothing thats going to work for a week and crap the bed on me! I know location of the tank can be important so heres a little on that, the room is in the basement, stays a constant 56-65 degrees and has almost no sunlight ( one very small window).

Thank you for any and all products you recommend, its greatly appreciated!

pegasus

Welcome to the forum! First off, 120 gallons isn't large for a beginner. It's actually easier to maintain a larger tank than a small tank, and nano tanks are typically recommended only for "seasoned" or advanced hobbyists. Things tend to change slower in larger tanks, and gives a larger window of opportunity to correct the issue before it becomes catastrophic. A small tank can flop overnight, and experience and knowledge are extremely valuable when it comes to keeping things in line. That said, I can offer some suggestions for equipment. The majority of your investment (that's what it is... an investment) should revolve around where you want the tank to be in a couple of years or so. If you look short-term, you'll end up wasting money on stuff you'll need to upgrade later on. It's best, if affordable, to buy what you need now and be done with it. If you want a fish only tank, you can get by with most any kind of lighting. If you plan to have corals, you should invest in lights that will meet the needs of the corals you plan to have. Suggestions for lighting will depend on that. I like T5 HO lighting, as the initial cost isn't too bad, and I can grow corals. Basic stuff like sand and rocks are a matter of choice. While I always recommend live sand (I use CaribSea Arag-Alive), you can save a ton of money by buying dry rock. It's often referred to as "reef saver" rock, and cost's about half (or less) what live rock costs. The beneficial bacteria in the live sand will migrate and populate the dry rock, and it will become "live" over time. If you're in a hurry and don't mind the cost, go with live rock. Live rock often comes with a few bonus goodies. I always recommend 1 - 1 1/2 lb each of rock and sand. I prefer the latter. This will provide enough biological filtration to handle a moderate-heavy stocked tank. Sump, or refugium? I prefer a refugium because it functions like a sump, but has a "refuge" where pods can live and breed. This is free food for many fish and corals. It's also a place to grow macro algae, which will compete with nuisance algae for food... which can be anything from ammonia to nitrate and phosphate. A simple clip-on lamp with a 23W daylight fluorescent bulb (spiral) is all that's needed for lighting. Most refugiums work on the same design and principle, just go as large as you can for additional water volume. A skimmer will go in the first chamber, and I love Reef Octopus skimmers. There are a few cheaper brands, and they seem to work fairly well. Skimz comes to mind. Always go up a size on the skimmer. One rated for 150 gallons or more should suffice. You'll need a good heater to keep the tank consistently warm. I use Ehiem Jager heaters. You'll need 250-300W to heat 120 gallons. You'll also need a good return pump. This is the heart of the system, so you don't want to skimp on it. I love Danner "Classic Supreme" pumps. I have 6, and never had to file a claim on the 5 year warranties. These are some of my suggestions. If you have any specific details or information you need or want to share, I'll do all I can to help. There should be other people chiming in to offer suggestions as well. Again, welcome to the forum!!!

snakeblitz33

Pegasus has a lot of good suggestions.

I'd go find pictures of tanks on the internet that I'd like to emulate. Then go to the fish store and see what you like in person. Some people like colorful stuff that moves and others like myself like colorful corals that grow (SPS). So find out what you like first, because your livestock will determine what you need as far as equipment goes.

Two smaller heaters would work well rather than one large one. Two 200w heaters will perform better and if one goes out then the other will keep it up until you recognize there is a problem. I also recommend titanium heaters because they are shatter resistant. Finnex is a good brand.

While you can start with base rock and save money, I don't recommend it for beginner hobbyists. It's best to go with all live rock. Live rock in my area is only $0.35 more per pound than base rock,.... So I'm sure that you can find a good deal. Get some large chunks for the base and then some smaller chunks for the shelves and caves.

Live sand isn't necessary, in my opinion, and is not worth the cost. A shallow sand bed of 1-2" is fine in a display. A refugium should have 6-8" minimum, IMHO.

A pump that pushes about 1200gph should be fine, like mag drive 12. Most people run their sumps at 5-10x the volume of their display.

I don't know if you will have a sump or not?

Research and save for a skimmer. You won't need one for the first six months anyway.

One of your main purchases should be an RO unit and TDS meter. You'll be glad that you can produce your own clean water for top offs and water changes.

Invest in a refractometer.

Goodnight.

kdsealyon

Welcome to the forum! First off, 120 gallons isn't large for a beginner. It's actually easier to maintain a larger tank than a small tank, and nano tanks are typically recommended only for "seasoned" or advanced hobbyists. Things tend to change slower in larger tanks, and gives a larger window of opportunity to correct the issue before it becomes catastrophic. A small tank can flop overnight, and experience and knowledge are extremely valuable when it comes to keeping things in line. That said, I can offer some suggestions for equipment. The majority of your investment (that's what it is... an investment) should revolve around where you want the tank to be in a couple of years or so. If you look short-term, you'll end up wasting money on stuff you'll need to upgrade later on. It's best, if affordable, to buy what you need now and be done with it. If you want a fish only tank, you can get by with most any kind of lighting. If you plan to have corals, you should invest in lights that will meet the needs of the corals you plan to have. Suggestions for lighting will depend on that. I like T5 HO lighting, as the initial cost isn't too bad, and I can grow corals. Basic stuff like sand and rocks are a matter of choice. While I always recommend live sand (I use CaribSea Arag-Alive), you can save a ton of money by buying dry rock. It's often referred to as "reef saver" rock, and cost's about half (or less) what live rock costs. The beneficial bacteria in the live sand will migrate and populate the dry rock, and it will become "live" over time. If you're in a hurry and don't mind the cost, go with live rock. Live rock often comes with a few bonus goodies. I always recommend 1 - 1 1/2 lb each of rock and sand. I prefer the latter. This will provide enough biological filtration to handle a moderate-heavy stocked tank. Sump, or refugium? I prefer a refugium because it functions like a sump, but has a "refuge" where pods can live and breed. This is free food for many fish and corals. It's also a place to grow macro algae, which will compete with nuisance algae for food... which can be anything from ammonia to nitrate and phosphate. A simple clip-on lamp with a 23W daylight fluorescent bulb (spiral) is all that's needed for lighting. Most refugiums work on the same design and principle, just go as large as you can for additional water volume. A skimmer will go in the first chamber, and I love Reef Octopus skimmers. There are a few cheaper brands, and they seem to work fairly well. Skimz comes to mind. Always go up a size on the skimmer. One rated for 150 gallons or more should suffice. You'll need a good heater to keep the tank consistently warm. I use Ehiem Jager heaters. You'll need 250-300W to heat 120 gallons. You'll also need a good return pump. This is the heart of the system, so you don't want to skimp on it. I love Danner "Classic Supreme" pumps. I have 6, and never had to file a claim on the 5 year warranties. These are some of my suggestions. If you have any specific details or information you need or want to share, I'll do all I can to help. There should be other people chiming in to offer suggestions as well. Again, welcome to the forum!!!
Pegasus is right. The bigger the better. I have a 20 gal I'm cycling due to a spike that killed everything but my snails and crab. With my ten gallon, I'm checking it every single day, because something can go wrong in the blink of an eye. I'd love to have a 150 gal tank!

mandy111

Great advice already given. Only thing I think is that don't waste extra $ on live sand but do invest in some good quality porous live rock. The sand will become live very quickly. Good luck with your venture. Research research research !!!