lookng for a new skimmer

tjake68

im just setting up a new 210 reef im looking for a skimmer anyone ever use octopuss210 recerculating skimmer or any reviews on aquamedics

al mc

I have not used either skimmer (I can give opinions about asm, remoras, css and Mrcs) but have heard good things about the Octopus brand. Hopefully someone will chime in that is/has used the Octopus.

multi-task

Hey yall, I have the same question and didnt want to start a new thread. I need to buy a protien skimmer for my 55 gal (wanna be) reef tank. What brands, models and requirements are good? I have 50 pounds of live rock (maybe more) and 3 power heads. I also have two canister filters hanging off the back however I have recently been told to take them off and replace with a skimmer. Please advise me I would like to make the switch. Thanks in advance I look forward to your posts.

mojo46825

The octopus is a good skimmer. For your 55 I would get the nw 150 and I am not sure about the recirc models. I almost bought one for mine but went with the New ETSS Sump buddy 40. I thought I would try it do to is compact size. I havent gotten it yet. They were a little slow shipping. Shipped out today. But I will keep you posted. The 40 version good on tanks up to 180 gallons and there is a 60 version for even larger tanks. Not sure if it will be great or just so so. Its an upgrade for me so I have High expectations. Good luck. If this doesnt work out I would buy and octopus.

multi-task

nw 150? I am mad new to the protein skimmer game and nw 150 returns north west 150 on a search engine. What is the company name? model is nw150?
Thanks for the reply.

multi-task

thanks, checking it out. Is that what you recommend as well for a 55gal with my specs? Or are you just helping a lost soul out?

multi-task

Thanks!
I have found that model on MD, but they have a few versions with different levels of pumps.
Would just the
(ACRM AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump) work or whats with the drain fitting?
ACRDMAquaC Remora Hang-On Protein Skimmer w/ Drain Fitting + Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump
Otherwise that have bigger models, should I go big or just get the standard?

ifirefight

Originally Posted by tjake68
im just setting up a new 210 reef im looking for a skimmer anyone ever use octopuss210 recerculating skimmer or any reviews on aquamedics
I have a Octopus Recirc Needlewheel 200 on my 130 gallon... i highly recommend this skimmer as will most people familiar with them. It is rated for a 300 gallon sooo depending on your load it should work. My 2 cents

donald

I just put a corallife 220 on my 55g (70g tot vol) I know it is kinda over kill but it's better to over skim than under skim plus when I upgrade to a larger tank I'll be set.