Losing Zoo's

megadon

What could cause me to have zoo's start disappearing? Everything else in the tank seems to be doing fine. Hammer, Bubble, the fish. Do they need lot's of light, flow? Are the the most sensitive thing in my tank and just the first to show signs of stress?

razoreqx

Originally posted by Megadon
What could cause me to have zoo's start disappearing? Everything else in the tank seems to be doing fine. Hammer, Bubble, the fish. Do they need lot's of light, flow? Are the the most sensitive thing in my tank and just the first to show signs of stress?

Actually they can do well in medium lighting. If your others are doing well I doubt its lighting.
How strong is the current they are in? Mine seem to do better in a stronger current.
Also do you ever spot feed? I sometimes spay brine shrimp over the colonies once in a while with a turkey baster...
Last thing.. Are any of your fish picking at them?

megadon

I have an Emerald, Pep shrimp and cleaner, some zebra, scarlet and blue legged hermits. Sixline, Pygmy, Mandarin, and a psudeo for fish. I haven't spot fed them, I thought they fed from the water column and food usually drifts to them.

nas19320

Sundial Snails or possibly the peppermint shrimps? Spot feeding isn't critical as long as you have good lighting.

razoreqx

Originally posted by Nas19320
Sundial Snails or possibly the peppermint shrimps? Spot feeding isn't critical as long as you have good lighting.

True on the feeding not being critical.. The only thing I find is after a few hours, after feeding brine, when the polyps open back up they really look colorful and fully extended. Just seems to spark them up for a while

megadon

I have 96 watts PC and another 80 of flourecent, they're maybe 6" away from the bulbs. Would a cowrie snail wipe them out.

jodilynn

Last week I caught one of my emerald's eating a colony of zoe's. He had over half the colony ripped to shreads. I ended up losing the colony :( I caught all three of my emeralds and put them in my fuge. I also had to get rid of my coral beauty as it ate another colony of zoe's.:notsure: After a year in the tank I don't know why it got a craving for zoe's.
Jodilynn

megadon

I haven't seen my emerald on them yet, but I did see the Cowrie snail on my Zoo's. I have to assume he wasn't just crawling across them. It's been a week and they'e just about gone.