Lost 4 tanks of livestock to fire

nacl-h2o

Sorry to have disappeared for a while. On February 25th my kitchen burned, the fire started in the wiring in the top of the microwave/hood vent and spread out and around the kitchen. My neighbor saw the bright flickering threw the window and called 911, I was at work. The fire didn’t get beyond the kitchen, but the kitchen area is open to dinette and family room. The fire dept. says it was a short in the appliance wiring that shortly after last use began smoldering and the slowly spread into a real fire. There was a lot of damage in the kitchen. And I have had to move this past week.
When I was allowed in, I checked on the tanks to find the temp in all tanks still off scale high (above 86 deg.). The only fish still alive in any tank were 3 of the green chromis (in the 125g & died within a few hours) which were gasping at the surface as if needing O2. One of the firemen stated that the O2 levels in the water were probably extremely low, saying as the fire depleted the O2 in the air in the closed house the water movement which usually oxygenates the water, released the O2 into the O2 deprived air. This sounds reasonable and would explain the fish behavior. If this is accurate they weren't just cooked but also suffocated. The 2 FW planted tanks (90g & 29g) in the dinette and family room were very warm and all the fish were dead and plants were obviously damage (turned to mush in a couple days). They are both cycling. The 2 reef tanks (72g & 125g) were in the living room and while still to hot and deprived of O2, they were much better off. I have lost all the fish most of the corals and several other inverts. These tanks are also trying to cycle, but sense there are still living things in them I have tried controlling them with water changes and NH4 & NO2 detoxifiers. I appear to be over the hump at this point. And should be able to salvage most or all of what little is left.
It looks like at this point I've lost all the FW fish and plants. And all the SW fish, the shrimp, cucs, a few snails and most of the corals. My losses in livestock are about 90% and though it appears all the hardware is OK, I wont know for sure for a while the 29g was the closest and I’m worried about the seals and how hot it may actually have gotten from the radiant heat. For now it's holding water. After 14yrs in these hobbies I feel like I have to start over.
The irony is after the insurance post a few weeks ago I called and asked and was assured that my tanks were covered. I found out that the TANKS, hardware and stands are, but not the livestock. I don’t think I've lost any of the hardware, but 90% of the livestock is gone and not covered. If anyone that stated they acquired insurance for their tanks can confirm it covers hardware and livestock from disaster let me know.

richard rendos

Damn, I am sorry to hear that. I don't know about the insurance part, but I hope you haven't given up on the hobby because of this.

birdy

That is just horrible, and my insurance is the same way, they will replace objects but not living things, it really stinks. There is probably a company out there that specifically insures tanks and inhabitants.

nm reef

Very sorry to hear about your loss!:(
While the loss of livestock is surely devastating...I'm glad to hear that the fire damage didn't totally destroy your home and that no "human" lives were lost.
What happened to you would definitely destroy my humble lil reef...I'd have to sit down and cry a river just for the corals and fish I'd miss!!!
Best of luck re-establishing your systems.:cool:

alsie

Sorry for your losses. My insurance is the same way as yours. Livestock non covered. A real bummer.

hairtrigger

My gosh man.... what an unbelievably horrible loss. I don't know much about the insurance aspect. But I wanted to post my condolences regardless. That is just astounding. I can only bein to imagine how p-o'd you are. Sorry man. Good luck getting things back up and running. And good luck with the insurance thing. :cool:

nacl-h2o

Richard R
No, I'm not getting out of it. I've been doing this a long time and have dodged a lot of bullets over the last 14yrs that cost many others their tanks. Hurricanes, icestorms, a flood, some long power outages and even a angry ex. I guess it was just my turn. It will probably be quite awhile before I can get them all back together, but I'm going to restock them all, probably starting with the FW tanks, their cheaper to restock, this whole experiance has been very expensive outside of the insurace reimbursment.
I thank all of you for your condolences, and input.

This last summer, we were hit by lightning and the power was knocked out thereby causing a major flood in my finished basement. The water was 6" high in a 2800 sq ft area, just to give you an idea of how much water really came in. All of my tanks are in the basement and water was all over and through the stands. It was a mess you wouldn't believe.
Nationwide not only paid to have someone (owner of LFS plus 5 of his strongest employees) move all of the tanks, but then paid to have them all moved back. They replaced the stands, any damaged equipment AND ALL THE LIVESTOCK! I guess Nationwide really is "on your side"!
Good luck with your tanks. What a major bummer. Sorry for your loss. :(

nacl-h2o

How did a power outage put 6" of water in a 2800 sq ft basement?
What type of insurance was this? Renters,business,homeowners,flood,etc? Was there anything extra added?

kris

sump pumps need power--
Very sorry I do know the feeling of having to start over...all that time, effort and money, and time..just gone:(
It took a whole new tank to get me going again, and the excitement of planning a whole new, different tank.:)
Good Luck and I think I'll call state farm.

Yeppers on the sump pump. I have 2 of them down here and when the power goes out...so do they! It hardly rained at all last summer. This was a freak storm in an otherwise dry super hot summer and when it hit, it looked like the end of the world was at hand. My pond (1/2 acre) and creek (8 feet wide and about 6-8 feet deep) and pool (20 x 40) were flooded almost in the blink of an eye. It resembled the fabled "40 days and 40 nights" kind of rain. Didn't last to long either. Maybe 1 hour. Thats all it took though to destroy my pretty basement. I guess thats where the term "flash flood" comes from. I have some great pictures of it!
Bought a generator the next day. Naturally of course, there has been no power outage since then, but I'm ready just in case!
P.S. Make sure your policy covers water back up. This is the SECOND times this has happened to us and I was sure we would be cancelled but Nationwide was gracious and fast and never questioned one single thing. Their "large loss" agent photographed everything each step of the way and dealt directly with the builder so I wouldn't have to be worried about every single detail of the repair. Can't say enough great things about Nationwide!
Oh, by the way...this is homeowners insurance.

cadbury

I'm really sorry as well. It's not exactly what you loss, but what you may of gained, it could of happened at night and you could of been hurt or worse. Just thank God your ok and there was minimal damage. Life you can't replace..........

nacl-h2o

For those who are curious of the restoration of these tanks. All the surviving corals are in the 72G and I've restocked it, I have trned my attention to restocking the 125G reef next, the 90g FW has been restored and the 29g was idled full of water as the seals were questionable. It is still holding water though. I'm thinking that I'll give it a another 6 months before re-doing it just to make sure, The 30G, (old sump) has replaced it as my second FW planted tank. In the 3 months following the fire I had to replace 3 of the 4 ballast that were over the FW tanks in that room.
After all; the only survivors to this day are a branching hammer 4 of 11 heads survived and now split into 2 corals & now back to 9 heads 5/4. 3 of 14 candy heads now to 7, 1 of 7 torch heads now 2 heads, Blastmussa Merleti 3 of 80+ polyps now back up to about 30 polyps, 2 of 6 cabbage polyps now to 3, 2 of 40+ greensripe shrooms now back to about 20. 1 of about 30 green polyps still just one???. And 4 of 15 blastmussa wellsi still just 4???. Nothing else servived in the SW. Tank parameters have been back to preveious levels for 4 months now.
Even though everything has been back to normal for some time, none of the corals have the same growth rates or behavior as before some much better some worse. The Hammer, merleti, candy, & shrooms are doing much better; the cabbage and torch are growing much slower (but growing) and the green polyp and wellsi have shown no growth or death sense the tank stabalized.
All parameters and habits are the same as before the fire and have been for months.
I slowly but surly getting back in the game.