Lost all to Ivan

zotl

Let me start this by saying I am gratefulful for the minimal damage my house sustained and the safety of my family. I almost feel guilty talking about the loss of a fishtank compaired to what so many people have suffered.
I started on this board around January when I purchased a beautiful 125 gallon fully loaded reef tank from a friend. I remember reading some of the posts about dead fish and dead corals that read like a eulogy. I remember thinking that "It's just a fish, get over it." All that has changed.
I'm a cop so I pretty much spent the 72 hours after the storm on duty with no chance to get home. I had no way to get home and get my aerators going. I had no generator. Needless to say, when I finally got home half the fish were dead from lack of oxygen. About half the corals were already melting. With estimates running 3-5 weeks for a return for electiricty and knowing I'd be gone for another 72 hours, there was no hope for saving my tank.
I proceeded to dig a pit in my backyard and bury all my live rock and coral. The fish that were left I promised my kids (4&8 yoa) I'd release them into the ocean so they'd have a chance like Finding Nemo. I knew they'd die, but it worked on the kids. When I poured the bucket over the bridge it wasn't a a manderin, it was "Crayons", it wasn't a flame hawk, it was "Warrior", It wasn't a big hermit crab, it was "Bob". It wasn't like a pet dog dying, it was like several dozen pet dogs dying.
Reefkeeping is more than having a pet dog or cat. You are taking these beautiful creatures and animals out of a very specific environment and assuming responsibility. You are making a statement that you can create a miniature ecosystem and maintain the parameters to sustain that life. I failed at that. That's what hurts the most.
I would encourage all of you to conisder a generator and chiller an automatic purchase when you buy a tank. It should be considered as important as the stand and pumps. Why didn't I buy those? Because they were too expensive. Because of that poor choice, I lost over $4000 worth of livestock. Not only was it a poor economic decision, it was an unethical decision.
Will I rebuild? As of this minute, no way. It was too emotional of an incident. I'm not selling off yet though. I'm leaving everything in the garage for six months to see if I feel the same way then. I can't see me starting all over.
So why am I posting this? First, to get it off my chest. Secondly and most importantly to relay this message. Be prepared to care for the creatures that you chose to remove from their natural habitat under all circumstances.
All for Responsible Reefkeeping,
Eric
Pic of My former tank:

tony detroit

I lost a fully stocked 180 reef when I switched tanks. Really made a very, VERY dumb mistake when I did what I did. Moral is that I know where you're coming from.
Lesson I have learned: Join a local reefkeeping club in your area. You can re-establish your tank for under a hundred bucks and you're doing it with all captive propogated specimens. You start with frags, but if your water is right, in 6 months they're big enough to fill up a good amount of space. You can get some for 5 bucks where I live. There's always used fish from people moving, switching tanks too. Good to rescue fish from doomed tanks if you can.
Sorry about your loss, last winter I went down the same road, it's rough to come home and see the fish that have been with you for quite some while all belly up in murky water.

lovethesea

SO, SO sorry for your losses. No one understands how attached we become to these creatures. And no one will be able to relate, because their losses were on a much bigger scale. But no ones losses should be minimized, they were a part of your family. Your tank was to say the very least , beautiful. Give it time, you will be back into it again. (just ask Kip :) )
Your enjoyment of the hobby showed in your tank. And your kids need it too. Mine would be devastated. If we lose one fish, its tramatic. Praying things return to "normal" in your area soon. So much devastation to a state that I consider my
"home away from home" :yes:

cholland

Sorry to hear about your loss. 99% of the time you hear about damage to houses and businesses. And unfortunately people. But you never really hear about the little things, like the family pets. Like dogs, cats, fish, etc. that are lost because of the damage. Those things hurt to loose too.
Hopefully you will rejoin the hobby soon.
:)

I

irenicus

Very sorry for your lost. I just lost all but two of my fish in a 75 gallon.

T

tizzo

Am I the only one tearing up like a big baby?? Not a flame, but "warrior", not a mandarin but "crayons".
I seriously hope you will consider keeping the hobby as part of your life though. We all have had or will have losses, but there is a big difference between the hobbyists that simply don't care and the ones who learn from it. Sad to say, but most people simply don't care. So even with the tragedy you endured, those fish might have been sold to the careless hobbyist and not made it past acclimation (if there even was one). So start over, make it a family project. Encourage your kids to not give up even when they think they have hit rock bottum. In a yaer or so, when your tank is up, big and beautiful, there will be a huge lesson learned (by you) and taught (to the kids). Your a cop, and a dad...your a hero that can do anything!!! Just ask one of the kids, they know you best.
Truly sorry for your loss, good luck.

mr.smiley

No one is safe in the U.S by storms!
On the east coast and the states that border the Gulf of mexico we must watch out for hurricanes.
On the western side of the states (california,washington,ect.) you gotta watch out for earthquakes.
In the cornfield states (central U.S) you gotta watch out for tornados!!
WE ARE NOT SAFE! But we can prepare for these monsters!

kms

My intentions for this reply is to support zotl and everyone else touched by these disasters. I hope to bring at least zotl back to life by not only acknowledging his/her loss and expressing my sympathy, but also by sharing my success story.
I live just outside DC, very close to the Potomac River, if anyone knows the geography. Although, Isabel was in no way the magnitude of Ivan, let alone the previous storms, DC was in no way prepared for a hurricane. Nevertheless she hit, and although there is no comparison to what Ivan left behind, I lost my power along with the several other hundreds of thousands of people that lost power. I immediatly began waiting for the second the power would flick back on. Didn't happen. Not for another 2 weeks. Gratefully, I had made a very wise purchase a week or so prior to the hurricane. An inverter to plug into a cigarrette lighter in your car that gives you one regular AC/DC outlet. I plugged in and kept my fingers crossed when i went inside plugged in my powerstrip to the extension cord that ran to my car and flicked the switch. Filters, pumps, and PHs turned on. I was not able to run my lights though, so my anenome, although not dead has never been the same after 2 weeks without lights. In a few days the block behind my house got their power back. Because in our neighborhood the houses are very close and sit back to back, our neighbors noticed that we still didnt have our power so they began to throw extension cords over the fence so we and others could plug in necessary appliances like freezers and fridges so foods didnt spoil. Very thankful for the constant power supply, I was able to run the filters and circulation, however did not feel it was appropriate to run the lights on the neighbors electric bill. I did not have corals, but I can say that I have lost some sentimental fish and it does not feel good. I can't imagine losing a whole tank. I hope my success story helps you to get back on the wagon zotl.
Even today I thant my neighbor everytime I see him for saving my livestock and thus, my sanity.
I am sorry to hear of your loss and I will say in hopes others will follow...I would contribute to a new tank should you decide to re-establish your tank. In fact, I have a yellow tang that is outgrowing her home that would love a 125. Email me should you decide to re-establish. Donations to zotl new reef in the wake of Ivan...anyone???
email addy: kschmauder AT
cuttingedgellc DOT
net