Lost Clownfish?? Help Please

bkall4u

okay guys, i need some help here I'm totally dumbfounded...
For the last two days I have not seen my clownfish. I checked the floor and all my powerheads and throughly looked through the tank. Is it possible he died and is stuck deep in the rock and if so how do I find him without disturbing everything. He has only been in the tank for about two weeks and is about 1 1/2 inches. My setup:
65 Gallon UniAquarium
4X65 PowerCompacts
3 1/2 month old tank
60lbs Live Rock
80lbs Live Sand
1 or 2 Clownfish (1 is as normal)
1 Blue Tang
Many Feather Dusters (hitchhikers) Prob.. 20 or so
A Few Mushrooms
Pulsing Xenia
I just did a 25% Water change today due to I lost a fish it was sucked into a powerhead, I know my fault :(
I'm totally confused about what do to about this Clown.... Ideas please!

zanemoseley

any possibility he got snagged by a mantis shrimp? also did he look healthy and active the last few days, had he been breathing fast or lying on the bottom of the tank

bkall4u

No fast breathing and I didn't notice any abnormal behavior, I'll have to do a search on Mantis Shrimp to see what they are all about, I doubt it though I haven't seen anything like that since I set up the tank and haven't added any new rock but I'll look into that, thanks for the advice. Any other thoughts?

bkall4u

Just did a small search, I have seen what in my tank two crabs might be hairy crabs... thought on how to get them out? they are on a large peice of live rock that I have Xenia on, it is almost impossible to take that rock out, twezers at night time maybe?!?! I didn't even know that lil crab was bad :( Could he of eaten the whole clown?

harlequinnut

You may have a couple of emerald crabs, little green crabs with hairy legs. They are generally harmless and reef safe, they only feed on the algae in the tank. An occassional one may make a meal out of a dead or sick fish, but I don't think they would actually hunt a fish out. Your clown may have died from something else and is inside your rockwork.:thinking:

zanemoseley

not sure about the hairy crabs but mantis shrimp can hide in the holes and crevices in the rock and eat you fish while they sleep, have you checked the floor behind the tank to make sure he didn't go carpet surfing

N

newreefers

If he did die and that was two days ago, depending on the size of your clean up crew, he may alreadly be gone and you might never see any sign of him.
Sorry about the loss.