Lost Peppermint Shrimp

airforceb2

I added a peppermint shrimp yesterday and he is nowhere to be seen. Acclimated him for 2 hours and when I put him in the tank he swam like crazy till he nestled behind my powersweep. Now I can't find him anywhere. I would imagine he is hiding till he accepts the new environment. How long should I wait till I call it a gonner?

1journeyman

I have 2 pep. in my tank. I see them rarely. Every once in a while if I am hand feeding my cleaner 1 or both of them will come looking for food... not very often though. Not for me anyway.

jonny bolt

It was 5-7 days for me. He'll come out. I was hand feeding mine freeze dried krill within a few weeks. My Angel fish loved the Peppermint Shrimp, but the Shrimp ended up getting its ass kicked and is no longer in the tank

danedodger

Nope, same here. We've had a peppermint shrimp for at least 6 months now. For awhile we knew he was ok because he'd poke his head out of his hole in the liverock whenever we'd feed plus we'd find his molts. Recently we haven't seen him for ages so, being worried about him, I picked up his rock, shook it really good, even took the rock out and scrubbed it real good during a tank cleaning. Since I found no sign of him whatsoever in all of that we assumed he was good and gone. But what do you know, we put a strip of Seaweed Salad in there for our tang and out pokes our shrimp from his same old hidey hole! They are great hiders so don't give up on him yet!

bgriff

Check at night after the lights have been off for a while with a dull flashlight..I rarely see mine during the day..

1journeyman

Both of mine came out just now as I was feeding...
So, ya, they can be quite reclusive.... I guess that's a good thing. They must be at home and comfortable.
Now, my pistol shrimp, on the otherhand... i've only seen that punk 5 times in 4 months... talk about reclusive.

rpick

when i first got mine, 2 dissappeared, but the other 3 were thriving. they like to hang in the back of the tank. they come out several times a day. mine seemed to be content. they walk on the sand and not skittsh when i walk by or sit to look at them. i just lost one so now i have 2.