Lost Sense of Smell?

lefty

Hello everyone,
I have a 20g long with two ocellaris clowns and a cleaner shrimp. I've had the tank up for about two years now. In the past couple of months, the male clown seems to be having trouble eating. He was never an aggressive eater and always shies away when he sees the female going for the same piece of food. It's not that he doesn't want to eat. He knows when I am about to put food in the tank and swims up to the surface. He won't chase any of the food that starts to fall. He will only eat the pieces that float on the top. Even then, he has trouble finding it and I have to guide the food to his mouth. It is hard to get him to eat his fair share of food with the female around. She is quite aggressive and always tries and often successfully steals the piece of food I am trying to guide to the male. He looks healthy and acts pretty normally otherwise, though sometimes he bumps into things. I don't think he is blind because his eyes look normal (unless blindness does not change the appearance of their eyes). I'm not sure what, if anything, I should do. He still gets enough to eat and still has a desire to eat. It's just a bit of a pain come feeding time. Thanks in advance! :happyfish
-lefty

payton 350

have you tried different types of food , mysis shrimp or pellets...it sounds like you are feeding flakes....also dip the food in a garlic mixture

lefty

I actually feed formula one pellets. I just set them nicely on the surface of the water so they don't sink. He has never lost interest in his food before. I can tell that he wants to eat it but has trouble finding/getting it without me helping. That's what makes me think there might be something wrong with his sense of smell. I will try another type of food just to be sure though. Thanks!

sepulatian

Fish don't lose their sense of smell. It sounds to me like he is bored off his rocker with the food you are feeding. Fish should be given a varied and nutritious diet. Frozen formula foods, Formulas 1&2 by oceanic nutrition, Julian sprug's sea veggies, spectrum complete, Mysis, etc.
Saltwater fish come from the ocean, they are not used to pellets. It is ok in rotation, but it is not something they are naturally used to. They are used to picking what they want. By adding variety you give them choices.

lefty

Both of my clowns were tank bred. They did not experience life in an ocean or a varied diet when they were at the pet store. I wasn't aware that a varied diet was a requirement engrained into their genetic makeup, although I knew it was recommended to change up their food. Thank you though, I will get some other types of food ordered. I am not so sure it is just boredom with food. It looks less like he is bored and more that he is physically unable to find the food on his own. I mentioned that he has been bumping into the rockwork/glass on occasion as if he can't tell it's there. He's being picked on more than usual recently as well.

1journeyman

No idea... I'm going to move this thread into the disease forum so we can get you some advice.
A variety of foods are neccessary to provide a balanced diet for your fish. That might help now, but definitely from now on for the health of your fish feed different foods. You might also try a garlic additive of some type. For whatever reason fish seem to love garlic...

sepulatian

Originally Posted by lefty
Both of my clowns were tank bred. They did not experience life in an ocean or a varied diet when they were at the pet store. I wasn't aware that a varied diet was a requirement engrained into their genetic makeup, although I knew it was recommended to change up their food. Thank you though, I will get some other types of food ordered. I am not so sure it is just boredom with food. It looks less like he is bored and more that he is physically unable to find the food on his own. I mentioned that he has been bumping into the rockwork/glass on occasion as if he can't tell it's there. He's being picked on more than usual recently as well.
Can you please post all of your water parameters for us? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, kh, temp and salinity?

lefty

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Close to zero
pH: 8.0-8.2
Temperature: 82
Salinity: 35 ppt
My water parameters are not the issue. My other clown is doing perfectly well, as is my cleaner shrimp. I'm not new to the hobby, although I suppose it is wise to consider all of the variables. :joy:

sepulatian

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Close to zero
pH: 8.0-8.2
Temperature: 82
Salinity: 35 ppt
My water parameters are not the issue. My other clown is doing perfectly well, as is my cleaner shrimp. I'm not new to the hobby, although I suppose it is wise to consider all of the variables. :joy:
Fish do not lose their sense of smell, I will say again. They can be completely blind, and will still smell things. There has to be something else going on.

lefty

I did not imply that I still think he has lost his sense of smell. It was my first speculation, not a statement of a belief, and I have not considered it since reading your first post about it. I was merely saying that the water parameters are not causing his behavior.

xdave

After 2 years suddenly getting bored with his food doesn't sound logical.
It does sound like a sight problem, with the bumping into things and only going after food on the surface. His eyes wouldn't necessarily appear any different. You could get a tank divider and coral him to one side when you feed.

payton 350

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Fish do not lose their sense of smell, I will say again. .
just curious as to why you say this....why can't they loss their sense of smell...there's been weirder things happen
If he goes blind does he need a seeing eye dogface puffer?

lefty

Originally Posted by xDave
After 2 years suddenly getting bored with his food doesn't sound logical.
It does sound like a sight problem, with the bumping into things and only going after food on the surface. His eyes wouldn't necessarily appear any different. You could get a tank divider and coral him to one side when you feed.
Thanks Dave :joy:. I will try that if/when it is confirmed that he is not just bored with the food.
-lefty

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Payton 350
just curious as to why you say this....why can't they loss their sense of smell...there's been weirder things happen
If he goes blind does he need a seeing eye dogface puffer?
haha, yes you are corect. I should not have said that they DON'T lose there sense of smell, just that it is unusual.

sepulatian

Thanks Dave :joy:. I will try that if/when it is confirmed that he is not just bored with the food.
-lefty
I may have asked this already, but have you tried adding fresh garlic to his food to entice his eating?

lefty

So it is unusual but not impossible. Well that's good, I don't sound completely crazy then.
In the past I have added garlic to their food and they honestly did not seem to act any different or more excited to eat. I was planning on picking some up next time I'm at the store though. It definitely won't hurt to try!

sepulatian

So it is unusual but not impossible. Well that's good, I don't sound completely crazy then.
In the past I have added garlic to their food and they honestly did not seem to act any different or more excited to eat. I was planning on picking some up next time I'm at the store though. It definitely won't hurt to try!
Yep, I realy wouldn't bother with the bottled stuff though, do you know how to do the fresh garlic? If not, Beth has it posted in the disease faq up top, or I can copy and paste it for you.

lefty

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Yep, I realy wouldn't bother with the bottled stuff though, do you know how to do the fresh garlic? If not, Beth has it posted in the disease faq up top, or I can copy and paste it for you.
I do have some bad news. He passed away last night.
The female was being especially aggressive towards him. All of his fins were in tatters, and I have a theory that since he was most likely blind or close to it, he couldn't see her advances and it made her mad. I am assuming he died from the stress and physical damage she inflicted upon him. He also had two small holes on his underside, one near the front and one near the back, that was the other clown's fault as well. I had never seen these holes before, and considering he was constantly at the top of the water, his underside would have been a prime target for the other clown to bite at. This is all speculation, but I can't see what else would have happened.
He was my favorite fish for two years and he will be greatly missed. At least he did not die unloved.
-lefty

sepulatian

I do have some bad news. He passed away last night.
The female was being especially aggressive towards him. All of his fins were in tatters, and I have a theory that since he was most likely blind or close to it, he couldn't see her advances and it made her mad. I am assuming he died from the stress and physical damage she inflicted upon him. He also had two small holes on his underside, one near the front and one near the back, that was the other clown's fault as well. I had never seen these holes before, and considering he was constantly at the top of the water, his underside would have been a prime target for the other clown to bite at. This is all speculation, but I can't see what else would have happened.
He was my favorite fish for two years and he will be greatly missed. At least he did not die unloved.
-lefty
ah, I am very sorry to hear that lefty.