lots of brown algae

nemo1234

Originally Posted by socal57che
Can you list what you tested for and the results?
Ammonia 0
PH 8.0
nitrites 0
nitrates 20

socal57che

Trates are too high, and did you test for phosphates?
How long has your tank been up?
What type of algae do you have?
What size tank and how often do you do water changes?
What type of filtration do you use?
Seems like a lot of Qs, but it helps us see what is going on in your tank.

nemo1234

Originally Posted by socal57che
Trates are too high, and did you test for phosphates?
How long has your tank been up?
What type of algae do you have?
What size tank and how often do you do water changes?
What type of filtration do you use?
Seems like a lot of Qs, but it helps us see what is going on in your tank.

my tank has been up for about 4 months now.
not sure what type of algae it is... its brown, and everywhere... the glass, the rock, the filter... just everywhere.
I have a 29 gall., with powerhead filter, marineland bio filter. water changes are once every couple weeks. About 5-10% water changes. thats what the LFS recommended.

socal57che

Originally Posted by nemo1234
i don't have a reef. mine is a fowlr
20 is OK, but you may have waste/food building up somewhere causing a constant 20 ppm reading. Fish may be happier if remedied.

snakeblitz33

It might be a little too late to add my .02$... Yes, your nitrates are a bit high, but for a fish only aquarium, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Make sure that all of your fish are still living and that all of your snails and hermits are doing fine as well. Make sure that nothing has died.
If you don't already have a protein skimmer I highly recommend getting one. If you would like to go all out, get a siphon overflow kit and run a sump underneath your tank. This will increase the water volume as well as create a space for a fuge, skimmer, and heater without being in the main display tank.
I'm sure that all you need is an efficiant skimmer. And as for that other guy,... it's not cyano, it's diatoms. Diatoms feed off of sicates in the water...

nemo1234

thanks for all the input.... the fish are fine and everything is fine EXCEPT for my missing camelback shrimp. Haven't seen him in 2 weeks.