Lots of Green Coraline Algae, but no Red

euphoria

My tank has a lot of green coraline algae on its walls, especially the sides and the back. Now I"m starting to see them on the front glass. The problem is I don't see any red ones.
Is green coraline algae bad? Why do I have lots of green and not enough red?
Thanks

thegrog

Give it time. The green grows faster in my experience. The reds and purples will come out.....assuming you have them in your tank.
To help spread them, gently rub one of the rocks that has the desired coralline algae on it with a soft toothbrush for a few seconds. This will gently remove the algae cells and let them flow around the tank and will increase their spread. Use a new toothbrush and rinse it really well before putting it in your tank.

euphoria

I've seen a few small specs of red on the front glass, so maybe there's hope.
As far as the brushing action, I've done that. I either do what you said, or when I"m cleaning my powerheads, I try to scrape the coraline algae buildup on them really well and break them off and let it just fall into the tank.

diadema

If you can find someone locally to scrape off some of their algae you can add that to the tank. I have TONS of plating red coralline in my tank. For some reason it out competes the purple and pink.
I'll send you some if you want. You pay the couple bucks shipping.
Post your e-mail and I'll get in contact with ya... :)
That goes for anyone that wants some. I have TONS.

dragonboy

Yeah the Green grow's a lot faster but if you have a good amount of Purple on your rocks it will eventually start to grow as long as you aim the flow at them. I had a lot of green when I start off it took awhile for the purple to take over.

euphoria

Originally Posted by Diadema
If you can find someone locally to scrape off some of their algae you can add that to the tank. I have TONS of plating red coralline in my tank. For some reason it out competes the purple and pink.
I'll send you some if you want. You pay the couple bucks shipping.
Post your e-mail and I'll get in contact with ya... :)
That goes for anyone that wants some. I have TONS.
Wow, that would be sweet. If you by chance live in Los Angeles, I could pick some up. If not, then email me at kayf69@yahoo.com
I'll pay for shipping cost to get some red ones :)

_nix_

Weird, my green hardly grows, but the red out competes all the other colors (pink, red, green, gray).
I wonder if each people's specific lighting denotes what color grows quicker?

mudplayerx

I personally love the lime green coraline...but it doesnt seem to do well under metal halide lighting. I think mh is too intense. I have loads of purple, pink, and maronn though.
I use a razor blade and scrape the coraline off of the glass.. this usually leads to a coraline explosion a few weeks later.

tuna dan

Haha I Have just started to see my green grow and I so happy about tank has been up for about 6 month but I am finally starting to get the Phosphates down damn the tap water!

jer4916

my tank has been up for 3 months...well 2 and a half, whos counting :) ...anyways my tank is starting to have patchs of purple come out, along with red,..no real pinks...but the lime green coraline is covering all my BASE rock, so that is pumping me up! :) ...my live rock that i bought seems to have alittle bit of coraline, but mostly its turning red/purple some yellow....but a good mixture of everything...i love watching the rocks change colors :)
~chris