Lots of starfish

rknapp

I was wondering if anyone ever had this happen to them. About 4 years ago someone gave me a starfish. It looked like an orange linka but wasn't as fat. I had it for about 3 years and then never saw it again. About 6 months ago I noticed tiny white specs on the glass. When I used a magnifying glass I found they were starfish. Well now they're about 1/2" across and I counted 31 of them! Unbelievable, I only have a 90 gal tank. Anyone have this happen to them?

rknapp

Will do. They come to the front glass when the lights are out but I think you will be able to see them. I'll have a pic or two in the next day or so.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknapp http:///t/389497/lots-of-starfish#post_3442816
I was wondering if anyone ever had this happen to them. About 4 years ago someone gave me a starfish. It looked like an orange linka but wasn't as fat. I had it for about 3 years and then never saw it again. About 6 months ago I noticed tiny white specs on the glass. When I used a magnifying glass I found they were starfish. Well now they're about 1/2" across and I counted 31 of them! Unbelievable, I only have a 90 gal tank. Anyone have this happen to them?
The starfish from years ago and the little white starfish you are seeing now are not related. The starfish that you are seeing are asterina starfish and the multiply quickly. I have well over one hundred in my tank.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/389497/lots-of-starfish#post_3442833
The starfish from years ago and the little white starfish you are seeing now are not related. The starfish that you are seeing are asterina starfish and the multiply quickly. I have well over one hundred in my tank.
+1
common hitchhiker. Probably started out as only one or two on your live rock, or a coral.
I literally rip them out and toss them to keep them under control. In my 155, they got so bad that I had to buy a harlequin shrimp to eat them.

btldreef

Usually they don't case harm.
There are some species that eat zoanthids. I noticed far less coralline growth when mine really got out of control.

rknapp

Thank you everyone for the help and the pic posted is exactly it. Merry Christmas to all and Happy new Year.