Loud Overflow

tim514

Is there a trick to quieting the overflow? It is really loud, sounds like a waterfall. Is there a trick to adjusting the overflow?

tim514

So I found out where the noise is coming from. It is coming from the 1"to 3/4" threaded elbow on the top of the return. There is a hole in the corner of the elbow where water is spewing out of. Is there a reason for this hole? otherwise i'm going to change out the piece with a new one.

geoj

Based on my reading I think there is a reason for that hole. I think it should be turned up so that air will be aloud to siphoned in and out reducing the loud drain sound. Glass holes has a vented elbow.

mattfrancis

The hole on the return is so if there is a power outage, the return lines don't act as a siphon which will flood your sump.
-Matt

ok call me stupid but on my 260 gallon i have both a loud overflow and a little red tube and i think it is for the power outage thing but water sprays out of the tube when the return pump is on ??? is this normal???

toomanytoys

i had a similar issue and i just got the right sized cap for the top of the pipe and swiss cheesed it full of holes and put it on and now it makes almost no noise

J

jstdv8

my overflow was gargling at the drop tube in the bottom of the outside overflow box. i read somewhere online to get the air to escape that you just put a piece of tubing in the overflow where the water goes into the drop tube. i did this and it quieted it down a ton. may be a different noise than yo, just thought i'd share.

beaslbob

Originally Posted by Tim514
http:///forum/post/3200914
Is there a trick to quieting the overflow? It is really loud, sounds like a waterfall. Is there a trick to adjusting the overflow?
FWIW the basic trick is to insure the rushing water (and therefore noise) is traped inside the pipe. And the pipe is vented with an air hole.
.....air hole
..____|_
./..___...
/../___...|______water level
|..|......|..|
|..|......|_|
|..|
|~|
drain
(ignore dots they are for spacing)
Google durso.
my .02

tim514

Originally Posted by MattFrancis
http:///forum/post/3201144
The hole on the return is so if there is a power outage, the return lines don't act as a siphon which will flood your sump.
-Matt
Matt, I read this also yesterday and it makes sense. Is there anything that can be done to quiet this down or modify it? It's spewing water out like crazy and if i put my finger over the hole the return is quiet.

tim514

Figured it out, turned ball valve to reduce flow to the sump which slightly raised the water level in the overflow box area which is around the same level as the siphon hole on the return elbow. Noise has been virtually eliminated.
Thanks for all your help guys, i had been searching the forums and finding ideas from other forums which lead me to this solution.

T

tfolke1

the hole in the return line is supposed to be just below the waterline. If the power goes out and the return reverses and starts siphoning water down to the sump, the hole will allow air in and break the siphon once the water level drops enough to expose it.