Louisiana - Any GOOD LFS"S aroudn?

bsdubois00

I think the title says it all. Everyone from Louisiana, do you have any good LFS in or aroudn your city that you like to go to. I'll drive just about anywhere for a good selection and knowledge.
Thanks
BRANDON

S

sinner's girl

Where are you? There's a Mister Fish somewhere south, can't really remember where, had great selection and good prices when I was last there, a few years ago. Store was bigger than most fish stores.
Other than that, most are just avg.

S

sinner's girl

Currently North La. Ruston (Louisiana Tech) between Monroe and Shreveport. I'm clueless about Natchitoches area. There was nice one in either new orleans or baton rouge a few years back...but I don't remember the name, prieces were way high, but they had NICE tanks.

bsdubois00

awe yes, good ole tech, went there a couple years, anything good in teh shreveport area? thats not a far drive...what about alexandria?
Brandon

podslammed

I am about 40 min south of Lafayette. There is an ok store in Lafayette called th Tropical Fish Bowl. There is a nice shop in Houma and there is the Coral Connection in Kenner. How far from Lafayette are you?

bsdubois00

I'm about 45 minutes north of Alexandria, so i guess you could say about 2 1/2 give or take from lafayette, i have alot of family in houma, sounds like maybe a road trip :) is the coral connection real nice in kenner also?
Brandon

S

sinner's girl

Coral Connection in Kenner
That's the store I was thinking of. I was there before Katrina, so I don't know if it's still as nice.
anything good in teh shreveport area? thats not a far drive...what about alexandria?
No clue about either. I'm sure at some point we drove around looking at Shreveport, but my mother-in-law is there so I would never suggest a trip there. Other in-laws in alexandria, but I never thought to look for a fish store...guess I figured that'd be a long trip for a fish.

podslammed

never been to the coral connection. we are planning a road trip. If you are headed this way let me know. went to the fish store in houma today.

fishykel

we had three in the slidell area that were ok. that was before katrina of course. i dont know if your familiar with the mandeville area, but there is a really good one called seven seas. i was very satisfied with them. i think coral connection is open since some of their stock they were on the second floor.

partsman

Originally Posted by fishykel
we had three in the slidell area that were ok. that was before katrina of course. i dont know if your familiar with the mandeville area, but there is a really good one called seven seas. i was very satisfied with them. i think coral connection is open since some of their stock they were on the second floor.
it appears that my favorite marine store " seven seas " my be experiencing the ole """ closed ....due to illness """
there's a bit more to the story though , a real shame ..........great place for corals and specialty fish also ...
i hope the can keep it together and stay open . there's really no other marine stores in the mandeville/covington area other than " adventure pets " .
and what an adventure the store is ...!!!!!

robdog696

There is a Critter Company on Benton Rd in Bossier City, LA. I have not yet started my tank, but this is where I plan to purchase my aquarium. They appear to have one true saltwater hobbyist on staff, though I do not remember his name. They carry a variety of saltwater fish, and from what I have researched online their tanks appear to be very reasonably priced. I will be starting my first saltwater tank over the next month or so, and I will gladly add posts detailing the quality of information, fish, and service I recieve from them if you would like.

mflamb

The store in Houma is called Pet Express owned by Pat Tarantino. He's been at it for a long time. He helped me take down and move a 75 meat eater and a 75 reef, when I left south la and moved to north alabama. George at Coral Connection is also a great guy, with lots of cool stuff and good info.

S

sinner's girl

i dont know if your familiar with the mandeville area, but there is a really good one called seven seas.
i know some of the area, sucks the store is closed though.
I don't remember critter company having swf, but it's been a few years since i was there.
I guess I'll stick with the gulf for fish, though last sinner and dad didn't catch anything, just crabs...(this time sinner only kept a few, enough for us to eat, none wasted...) YUMMY!

niprut

There are currently three good places open in the New Orleans area. Rick's Reef, Coral Connections, aquatic Specialties

robdog696

Yeah, Critter Co. sells SW. ***** also, but I wouldn't buy anything from there! I just found out today there is a store dedicated to SW in Shreveport on E. 70th called Aquarium Concepts. I'm super excited, but being a holiday they are closed. I will be visiting them tomorrow!!! Yay! So far Critter Co. has been very helpful, though they don't know jack about seahorses... telling me they are endangered species and impossible to keep, etc. :hilarious Anyone know if there are any local "reef clubs" around?

draven25

I am in shreveport and there are a few local stores that i have been dealing with in the past year that sell saltwater fish and supplies.
Aquarium concepts- Owner is very knowledgeable and friendly but ask specific questions as he will expect you to have done your homework. More of a respect thing i guess as one can be taken advantage of in this hobby fairly easy. I bought my aquarium and my first few fish from him early this year. They offer many services but the pricing of his fish are rather high although they are cheaper than what critter co asks. Whatever he does not have on display he can aquire and he does have some corals.
*****- Jeff is also very knowledgeable and i have bought a few fish from there with no problems in the past. I will say though that i was there last week and all of the tanks had at least one fish with ick. They will not sell anything to from the tanks that have a sick fish. They said they were going to treat them but i have not been back since to get an update. the prices there are reasonable.
Critter Co. - They have a wide selection but their prices are ridiculous and most of the fish i have seen there are in poor health. For that reason i have yet to buy anything from that store but still stop in here and there out of curiosity.
Pets First- This is a tiny hidden shop not too far from Pet Co. Sad to say that i their tanks have gone down hill as of a few months ago with the exception of the coral tank. He has healthy reasonably priced corals is friendly and all the staff is knowledgeable.
Pet Zone- This is where i do most of my shopping. The prices for the fish are very modest. The pricing on food and filter media is also cheapest in comparison to all the other stores in the area. Although the staffs knowledge isn't that great. But hey with a site like this what more do you need right?
That is my story and i'm sticking to it.

spyder78

If you decide to make the trip to Houma, I definitely say try Pet Express. My FOWLR has only been set up for three months, but Pat and Grey have been soooooooo helpful. They are very knowledgable and have a good selection. It's on MLK Blvd. near Vandebilt High School.

ryan115

Mark's Marine in Baton Rouge has a good selection of corals and occasionaly an ok selection of fish, but their prices are kind of high. they have systems devoted to LPS SPS softies and zoos each. Another place I heard good stuff about was Paradise Pets in La Place, I havent been there, just heard good things. And yes there is a reef club, it is lareefclub.com. good site, I just joined.