Low Budget Build-up... interesting idea to anyone?

bigsteve

Hey all... I've decided to start a little project to justify what I'm currently caught in the middle of. My problem is a lot of sand in my 44g, and a dragon goby who likes to dig. It's not a live sand bed, just a little too deep, and as he's digging, he's getting to the bottom. Which is stirring up some nasty stuff and throwing my levels way off.
So, since one of my friends was nice enough to just give me his 20g, filter, and skimmer, I'm going to try my hand at a nano tank. Well, first, I'm going to use it as a holding tank for my few little fish while I get rid of all the sand (way too much... I was a rookie when I put it in there) out of my big tank. Then comes plan B.
Plan B..... See how inexpensive I can build a decent saltwater aquarium setup, with a reasonable amount of livestock. I plan on documenting EVERYTHING, comparing prices (retail vs. price paid), and posting it on a website.
Everyone is always saying how expensive the hobby is. Now, I won't disagree, but I just would like to see how much it can really cost. Of course, I don't plan on cutting corners that sacrifice saftey, reliability, or animal well-being. Fish are our friend... not inmates. :D
My question to all of you is if anyone really cares. If I get good feedback from this post, I'll go ahead and take the time to document things and start planning a website. If not, I'm just going to keep going for my records and satisfaction.
So.... interested?

lefty

I would be interested to see how cheap you could do it. =)
How deep is your sand bed? You make it sound like it's a foot deep or so, lol. :D
-lefty

bigsteve

Originally posted by lefty
I would be interested to see how cheap you could do it. =)
How deep is your sand bed? You make it sound like it's a foot deep or so, lol. :D
-lefty

I feel dumb saying this, but pretty close... I'd say 7-8 inches. Newbie mistake.... luckily I know better now, and the only casualty has been my Coral Banded Shrimp. I kinda liked the guy, but too late now.

lefty

Originally posted by BigSteve
I feel dumb saying this, but pretty close... I'd say 7-8 inches. Newbie mistake.... luckily I know better now, and the only casualty has been my Coral Banded Shrimp. I kinda liked the guy, but too late now.

Don't feel too dumb. We all make mistakes, and I've heard of a lot worse ones than that. :)
-lefty

southcoral

that's really interesting, I'm just now setting up a 29g, I've never tried saltwater before so it'd be nice to see if I could save money for my first time around. Also since y'all sound experienced, any tips for what type of fish/coral/lighting/anything would thrive in it and look pretty in my tank? Thanks a bunch:cheer:

ka0z4allu

How could you have a tank with sand and not have a LS bed? If your tank has cycled then denitrifying bacteria is living in your sand making it LS.

mbrands

I'd be interested in finding out how cheap you can do it. Is your plan to buy most of your stuff used? Thats pretty much the only thing I could think of to do it cheaper.
Good luck!

bigsteve

Originally posted by ka0z4allu
How could you have a tank with sand and not have a LS bed? If your tank has cycled then denitrifying bacteria is living in your sand making it LS.

I guess you could look at it that way... I always considered live sand to contain creatures such as worms and such, not just bacteria. But you do have a valid point.
I'd be interested in finding out how cheap you can do it. Is your plan to buy most of your stuff used? Thats pretty much the only thing I could think of to do it cheaper.
Good luck!

If I can find used equipment in very good condition, then yes, I'll go that route. But I'm also planning on trying cheaper brands at the pet store, or check around online, ----... things like that. For example... I got a 20g AGA, stand, penguin 330 filter, and coralife protien skimmer for free from a friend. I'd estimate retail at around $250 for that setup brand new. So I'm already ahead. But, on the website I'm planning, I'm going to do those kind of comparisons, reviews of the equipment, etc.
Sound like a good idea?

sevenley

I'm interested too. I have a 10 gal. SW hex and am looking to start a 55 gal. I'd be very interested in your findings! Thanks for undertaking this project
Lee