low budget shark pool possibly?

sharkboy13

is it possible if i got a 5' round plastic kiddie pool that it would be enough surface area for a shark or two?

el guapo

I am going to say it will be ok temporary . but long term not big enough .
Why cut corners ? Make it worth having .

crimzy

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
http:///forum/post/2705801
is it possible if i got a 5' round plastic kiddie pool that it would be enough surface area for a shark or two?
Surface area should be ok for a smaller benthic shark. But kiddie pools are pretty cheap and flimzy. If you are going to have 200-300 gallons of water with hundreds of pounds of sand an rock then I'd go with a 300 gallon rubbermaid. They only run about $200.00 or so and come with a drain already.
But you should be aware that the display is only a small portion of the cost of a shark tank. You will have to have filtration. Assuming that you are going to do a sump/refugium and protein skimmer combo, you are still looking at close to $750.00 - $1,000.00. You will also need a couple hundred pounds of sand and some liverock. Moreover, if you really want to enjoy the tank, you will want to install some lighting so you can actually see the shark. Don't forget about the cost of salt for 300-500 gallons of water (depending on your filtration), which would run $200.00 or so.
Not trying to dissuade you here but you should understand that the cost of the display alone is only a small part of the cost of the system. I do think it would be a cool setup though. If you have another tank setup, I'd probably plumb the two together to make one large system. JMO.

All in all, if you are going to do a "low budget shark tank", I think that you could have a decent system for about $2,000.00 total. This system would work to raise a shark for a long time and it's about as cheap as I think it could be done.

sharkboy13

i am fully aware of the cost of equipment, but i was trying to make a cheap but efficient enclosure for them seeing as an aquarium for them would be in the few thousand dollar range

crimzy

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
http:///forum/post/2706151
i am fully aware of the cost of equipment, but i was trying to make a cheap but efficient enclosure for them seeing as an aquarium for them would be in the few thousand dollar range
Just trying to help...

brianbeme80

What I think he is saying is that he understands the cost of equipment, however he is trying to save on the display, hence the kidie pool option. Since a "normal" display could cost as much as the equiptment to run it. So buy useing a pool, he could save almost half the total cost.
my 2 cents

crimzy

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2706203
IMO, "low budget shark pool" is an oxymoron. It just can't be done.
It's all relative... I think that $2K is pretty reasonable for a shark tank. Reefers can spend that on a 50 gallon tank.
However whether that's a ton of money to a teenager is another issue altogether.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by brianbeme80
http:///forum/post/2706277
What I think he is saying is that he understands the cost of equipment, however he is trying to save on the display, hence the kidie pool option. Since a "normal" display could cost as much as the equiptment to run it. So buy useing a pool, he could save almost half the total cost.
my 2 cents
thats exactly what i was aiming at

brianbeme80

im glad i got it right, however, since i a still new to this hobby, i dont know the answer. i will leave it to the others with more knowledge than i.
in my opinion, as long as you have the proper equipment to sustain adaquate water quality, and dont mind how the "tank" and set up will look, i would think it would be fne. i for one would be curious to see the set up!

srfisher17

Bob Fenners book says that shark are real jumpers; the kiddie pools may be difficult. Preventing escape would eliminate viewing room

stdreb27

I'd imagine the logic in crimzy mind, is that because of the cost involved in the equipment it would be silly to skrimp on the tank by buying a kiddy wade pool.

mumbulog

I have been thinking myself about trying one of the swimming pools they have at walmart. they have the 21/2-3 tall x 8ft in the $50-100 range. That would preven the jumping and has the pump holes built in. Even a ladder so you can climb in and swim with the shark! LOL!

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2707419
Bob Fenners book says that shark are real jumpers; the kiddie pools may be difficult. Preventing escape would eliminate viewing room
i figure if u put milk crate on the edges and in towards the center a tad u could prevent jumping over the edge

fraggle_a

I feel your pain my freind.
Im about to aquire some shark eggs and raise them from fry (well, i hope!)
I have a 10g breeder in the run, and Im going to fill with 5g from my reef tank and 5g RO/salt from the store.
I figure the 10g should be good for a while before I go get a 40g tank.
I have a filter rated at 50g already.
Later on will be the kiddie pool. A stopgap as it were.
I have a grand scheme to build a tank outside (flroida). Shallow at one end deep at the other. Shouldnt take much. some bricks, some mortar and some plaster. Then a rubber (okay, that special rubber i can never remeber the name of) and a final coat over that to sceal everything and stop leaching and so on. The filter will be a simple return pump forcing the water through 3 systems. 1: matts (to trap big particles) 2: Brushes and Bioballs (take a wild guess) 3: live rock (or lietag - a smaller tank above the shark pool with some fish and such). Between 2 - 3 there will be a simple home-made Skimmer. Then the water drops off a small waterfall into the tank again...
Of course, the whole deal wil be in a built covered "shack" as it were, and probaby take a few months of work...

I always wanted a shark tank/pond, and I'm a teen. Tryed to figure out every single thing to make it cheaper, but fact is in my case I can't afford to set one up or maintain it. Got to many other things going on that requires my time and money, one of which would be getting a car in a couple of months. My suggestion would be, keep the love for shark keeping, learn as much as you can, and wait. It's hard I know.

grmreapr

you could always build yourself a tank for about a quarter of the cost psu made one before he left for florida about two years ago I dont know if the thread is still on here but I believe he made a tank for his shark for about 500 bucks and used my old 45 gallon tank for part of his filtration system.

jonp

Curious to know why you would want a kiddie pool setup vs saving for a DT? If it were me, I would invest in something I can see the shark fully then to only be able to see the top of the shark. A guy I use to know use to fish and sell shark and had a kiddie pool setup with a 2-foot shark (can't remember what it was). Had another fish in with it and the shark went after it, broke the kiddie pool, so he had to use his bathtub.