low level corals

hops523

Hey all, I am setting up a ten gallon reef tank. I have it up and running now, and going through the cycle. During the cycle today I picked up a light bulb it is called "Coralife Trichromatic" it has 15 watts, and 6500K. If I added this and a 20 watt bulb on the aquarium, the guy at the lfs said I could have "low level corals". My question is what are some low level corals, and would this be enough lighting for them? Also can I add some live rock now?
Thanks

natureboy

You can keep any sort of mushroom that you want. I would recommend adding some live rock now. It helps the tank to cycle quicker.

hops523

I will come up with a little list of what I am thinking of putting in there. I just have to ponder it for a little. Oh and it says T-8, to tell you the truth I dont know what that means.

puffer32

I would have added the LR before the cycle, but you can add cured LR anytime, before during and after a cycle, its better to ad before, cause it helps the cycle along. That really is not much lighting for corals, might beable to get some zoos and mushrooms :notsure:

hops523

I will have to pick some up within the next couple of days.The aquarium is only 10 gallons that is why I thought that it would be able to have more than that.

puffer32

Well I have 96 watts on my 15 gal, if you want more then zoos and shrooms, you will have to upgrade.

hops523

What kind of bulbs do you use? When I looked at my lfs all the bulbs with high wattages were 24-36 inches and that wont fit on my tank.

puffer32

Well you need to upgrade your fixture. You probably have the standard lighting that came with the tank. I use the coralife 20 inch pc lighting, what your fixture holds is NO lighting, you want a HO fixture.

hops523

Oh ok I will have to look for something like that, but I have never seen it at the places I have gone.And no live rock today we just got hit with a somewhat minor snowstorm, but nothing I would like to drive in haha. I know I can use fish food,and raw shrimp, anything else while I cant get any LR?

hops523

Alright here is a little stocking list that I have come up with:
some mushrooms
some zoos
maybe candy cane coral if I upgrade
" " bubble coral " " " ". Or do you think that I could get the candy cane coral or bubble coral with this lighting?
yellow clown goby
maybe a firefish
a few scarlet hermit crabs
a few blue leg hermit crabs
feather dusters
maybe a serpent starfish
2 peppermint shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
turbo snails
Would I be over stocked?

bonebrake

You can only keep mushrooms with that lighting.
Zoanthids, candy cane, and bubble corals will need much more light than what you have.
:joy:

hops523

Really zoos need more lighting than that? I will probably upgrade eventually after I get all of the inverts, and fish. But other than that does everything sound ok? Would I be overstocked?

bonebrake

Zoanthids definitely need more lighting than that.
They will live with poor light, but they will lose color and look horrible.

puffer32

You will not be overstocked. 2 fish is ok. I wouldn't get peppermints and a CB, the CB can be aggressive in such a small area, the rest of your inverts sound fine.

hops523

Ok thanks. Could I replace the peppermints and the CB with another invert? Something like an emerald crab, or another starfish? Oh and I dont really know much about them, but do horsehoe crabs get huge?

puffer32

Most stars require a larger tank, the serpents get pretty big, so 1 is enough. You could get teither the CB or peppermints, but I would go with a cleaner shrimp if I were you, jmo. You can put an emerald in if you want to also.

hops523

Alright thanks for the info. I think I am going to pick up some LR tomorrow, hopefully there are no unwanted critters in there

quaos

I would go with some more lighting because at least the tank will look better. More colorful, more exciting, I like smaller tanks because they are easier to fill up with coral. Mushrooms can make your tank look nice if you don't want to spend the money on the lighting. By all means go for it if you want a super mario playland
lol I'm just joking. Seriously, though you could make a mushroom tank look wonderful. It is all up to you. As far as replacing your Coral-Banded Shrimp with a different one...I have a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and it is so fun to watch it dig constantly. I really enjoy him. Sexy shrimp is another great option.
Off topic: Puffer32, I also have a 15G as well with the 96 4bulb fixture. I wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of your tank and a stocking list.

hops523

Alright, thanks. Tomorrow I am gonna go the the lfs to pick up some live rock. While im there I will look to see what kind of lights they have, and the type of systems. Anything else I should get during the cycle?