LoW Light corals

blemmy_guy

Mushrooms, and there are a few other sps corals, just look them all up, one at a time, and it will tell you what lighting and current need they have, but anenomies, as far as i know all need fairly strong light, my lived for 6 months on actincs alone though, with no problems. I have metal halides now though. good luck Todd

mana_man19

A flower anemone actually does not require light like your usual anemone. They arent all that pretty, but if thats what you're after...

debbie

I have a 10 gal nano and my lights are just the regualr pc 20 watt each i have two of them 50/50 10,000 kelvin coralife bulbs and I have: green mushrooms, red mushrooms, green hairy mushrooms, large feather dusters and a tube anemone. All this stuff is growing and doing great in my tank. My lights are nothing special like others have. My mushrooms are multiplying like crazy and I only started out with a single piece of each type of mushroom.
You can always tell when your mushrooms need more light, they will be quite tall and reaching up towards the light. Just move them up higher if you can.
I think mushrooms are quite easy to keep.
I have not had the opportunity to have any polyps yet, maybe someday.
good luck...

moray345

Originally posted by Blemmy_Guy
Mushrooms, and there are a few other sps corals, just look them all up, one at a time, and it will tell you what lighting and current need they have, but anenomies, as far as i know all need fairly strong light, my lived for 6 months on actincs alone though, with no problems. I have metal halides now though. good luck Todd

SPS
you have got to be kidding they are not low light!!!!!!

blemmy_guy

Originally posted by Moray345
SPS
you have got to be kidding they are not low light!!!!!!

ive had a fox coral and bubble coral with nothing but actinics for 6 months, and they did great

ophiura

They are not considered SPS corals....similar to you I've done relatively well (not great but OK) with candy corals and frogspawn...but these are LPS.
I guess the real question is "how low is low" in the lights? What do you have going?

blemmy_guy

Originally posted by ophiura
They are not considered SPS corals....similar to you I've done relatively well (not great but OK) with candy corals and frogspawn...but these are LPS.
My bad, sorry, i got them backwards!!! :notsure: sorry bout that. and thanx Ophiura for gettin me straight on that. Todd

sprang

condys do good on medium lighting, but your clowns won't host. they do add good color to a tank though. blue mushrooms also will add color with a couple pink feather dusters, mabee yellow polyps? how many watts per gallon?

ophiura

Originally posted by paintball
i have a 44 gal tank with 30 watts of light

IMO, this is pretty low...and what kind of lighting? Normal output? Power compact? and spectrum, 10K, actinic?

woodymdt

Better yet, whats the difference in LPS? And SPS? What are the full terms for those acronyms please?
btw, IMO = In my opinion.
:jumping:

ophiura

LPS and SPS refer to types of hard corals. LPS = large polyp stony and SPS = small polyp stony (the last S sometimes meaning scleractinian for the type of corals). Check the sticky at the top of this forum on board acronyms. Its pretty handy!
No, paintball, I am afraid that lighting is critical. IMO, you should have at least a normal output (regular flourescent) with a 50/50 bulb...even better would be two bulbs, one as a actinic and one a 10K or so. I would not suggest going to far ahead with spending money on any light loving animals (definitely not anemones) without looking into spending at least a few more bucks on lighting. Will save you some heartache down the road...if you want to keep any of these eventually you will need to upgrade your lighting, even a little bit.

paintball

see the problem is me tank cover can only fit 2 17 watt florecent light and i dont know how i can fit a powerfull light.

ophiura

How long is the tank? Usually lots of space options with lighting...its the $$ that can be the kicker :)