low ph! Best buffer??

jharring

I have always had a consistently low Ph. Around 7.8. I have a 72 g with a 6" DSB. The DSB has been up and running for about 2 months now. The Tank has been set up for over a year. The buffers I have previously used are Kent marine Superbuffer/DKH and Seachem Marine buffer 8.3. Neither seemed to have any affect on the Ph. All my other parameters that I can check for are ok including Alkalinity. My nitrates are sometimes a little high about 20. I also add 2 Sea-Lab 28 trace element cubes. I do regular water changes and feed fish a small amount once a day. I also have a Live rock rubble filter and over 100 lbs of LR in the tank. Does anybody have any suggestions? I also use RO/DI water.
72g bowfront
20g sumpfugium
1 clown
7 damsels
1 arrow crab
1 dragon wrasse
clean up crew
multiple powerheads
excalibur skimmer

leigh

can you post what your numbers are for salinity, alkalinity, calcium etc... we can be more help then. also, which salt mix are you using?

jharring

My salinity is 1.023 and I use Instant ocean. The alkalinity is 180 ppm and the chart says it is ideal. I use two different test kits for my ph and they are both the same. My fish don't seem to be bothered, but I have some button and start pollyps that have never looked very healthy. I've stopped using those buffers because nothing has been happening. Is there a better one?

leigh

what's your calcium at?
if your numbers are right on you should never need buffer. this is what i'm getting at...i could tell you what buffer i use but i don't know if it's any good because i never need to use it. it's all a balancing act.
-leigh