Low top off PH

notsofishy

The top off water for from my ro unit comes out to a ph of about 6.8~9 I figure Il just add some CaCo3 media to my drip system. But had a few questions about it. First of all I was wondering if this low of a Ph would dissolve a significant amount of CaCo3. I was wondering because I read that alot of calcium reactors run at about 6.7. If it will dissolve a significant amount how long would this take? And lastly what would be a good media that would dissolve at this PH level?

scsinet

It happens because RODI water has an incredibly low akalinity, so pH can vary wildly. When introduced into a tank, the alkalinity of the tank will balance everything out.
Personally, I have this happen to me and I never adjust top-off water before I add it.

snakeblitz33

freshwater has low pH, especially from RO Units. Just add your top off water and the pH in the aquarium should balance relatively quickly.
Calcium reactors use CO2 in order to lower the pH of the chamber for the calcerous media to dissolve.

flricordia

I have always had good luck adding about 2 tsp kalkwasser per gl to my top off. PH in tank stays at 8.5 average. Lowers a bit light out but the 24/7 fuge seems to keep it above 8.

notsofishy

Yeah the Ph in my tank stays fine its around 8.2. I wasn't as worried about that fluctuating Ph as I was interested in breaking down the CaCo3 for a little extra Ca. And was wondering if this would make any noticable difference.