Low water flow

notsonoob

This week, I got a little bit busy and wasn't focusing too much on my tank, but noticed that my sun coral wasn't opening up anymore.
Problem was I had put the pump prefilter on the inlet of the pump, but it was clogged up, causing lack of flow.
Basically I am going to rebuild my plumbing once again, because like Thomas Edison, I am on my way to find 1,000 ways, not to properly plumb a reef tank

I was just curious about what other ideas out there that you actually have sufficient flow out of your outlet to your display tank.
First order of business for me is to change my fuge to gravity feed into my tank, instead of my pump, as that is where I think the stuff came from that clogged the filter.
I think I caught it in time, as now everything seems ok.

C

cmaxwell39

If you are going to run the pre-filter make sure that you clean it regularly. I run one on mine, but I am religious about cleaning it out once a week so that it doesn't become to plugged up. Maybe this could keep you from having to replumb the tank.

notsonoob

I usually was doing mine every two weeks as I am running a home constructed u-tube with a plug that I drilled a bunch of small holes in to keep the algea from going to the sump.
I am replumbing it because I have a mandrin and I've read concerns about flow through the pump, in fact will kill a bunch of the copods as it runs them through it to the display tank and I kind of want this thing to be more natural replenishment, then constantly buying copod suppliments for the DT. That is why I'm going to gravity feed on my new design.
My original question was more to the fact if anybody used anything to prove they had flow into the Display tank out of the pump outlet. I have some ideas, but was looking for some feedback
I would rather go with a pre-filter again, as without it I create a vortex above the pump if the water in the sump gets low due to evaporation and dumps microbubbles into the display tank. Also, because you have to protect the impeller of the pump.

C

cmaxwell39

Okay, I understand why you want to replumb now. I have never heard of anyone using anything that would prove flow before. I am sure that it would be possible, but I don't know how. Sorry I couldn't help.