Lower the temp in the tank???

ophiura

Originally Posted by airforceb2
If anyone works in an office, look at what covers the lights. It is a pice of plastic with little pyramids on it. I can't bring cameras to work or I would take a pic.

:notsure:
Not sure if this is exactly what is meant...it is in overhead vents and such. The grid of little squares. Basically a "cage" top. Allows light and air to get through, but not the animals. I am wondering (as I look up at lights) if the stuff with the little pyramids is the actual "diffuser" which obscures the bulbs and harsh light. This isn't quite the same thing - it wouldn't allow much air exchange and I would imagine would cut down a lot on some lighting types.

hispaniola

Great, I don't know what egg crates are either.
I am looking up :rolleyes: and all that I see is a plastic light diffuser. It's translucent with many bumpy hexagons (I guess they could be pyramids). If I put that where the hood is, it would practically seal the top of the tank. I am confused :notsure:
You know, I was thinking how many people reading this were looking up at their lights

mr_bill

I ditched my hood for better lighting and run my temp at 79-81F constant. I did this primarily to match my LFS's temps but have heard 80F is a good target.

zeromus-x

Originally Posted by Hispaniola
Great, I don't know what egg crates are either.
I am looking up :rolleyes: and all that I see is a plastic light diffuser. It's translucent with many bumpy hexagons (I guess they could be pyramids). If I put that where the hood is, it would practically seal the top of the tank. I am confused :notsure:
You know, I was thinking how many people reading this were looking up at their lights

I'll take a picture of mine when I get home in about an hour and a half. Once you see it, you'll understand.

zeromus-x

My digital camera skills suck, and it's tough to take a decent picture of something covered in chrome, so here's the best I can offer for right now. Because I have a bowfront tank, it took a lot of cutting. You can see the two separate pieces right about where my light fixture sits; originally it was one piece with a straight cut across it and you'd never even know it was there, but I sat on it and broke it the other day. :( I'll re-do it all some day because I like it to look like it's one solid sheet... but this works for now. Note that you can also get the eggcrate in white, which is much more common. If you've got a filter splashing water around, it's just going to eat away the chrome anyway, and it's a lot cheaper.

Hope that helps.

cardsfan16

Originally Posted by sik72
well my room temp is about 75 degrees. how the heck the my water temp is high??? I place a fan facing my sump couple hours ago but still nothing yet.

If you have powerheads in there, that would explain it. I was running steady at around 76 degrees (room temp at 75). I added two Maxijet 1200s and the temp jumped to 79.

airforceb2

Originally Posted by ophiura
:notsure:
Not sure if this is exactly what is meant...it is in overhead vents and such. The grid of little squares. Basically a "cage" top. Allows light and air to get through, but not the animals. I am wondering (as I look up at lights) if the stuff with the little pyramids is the actual "diffuser" which obscures the bulbs and harsh light. This isn't quite the same thing - it wouldn't allow much air exchange and I would imagine would cut down a lot on some lighting types.
Well don't I feel like an idiot. I had totally pictured the pyramid type over. Didn't know how it worked but I knew people swore by it. Now I understand.
Thank you Zeromus-X...that was very helpful!!

zeromus-x

Lowes used to carry two different sizes. I got the smaller size. It's about 1/4" for each empty square. The larger one was about 3/4" if I remember right; it was cheaper, but fish could jump out a lot easier. I don't think any of mine could squeeze out these holes if they tried.

ophiura

:yes: The pics definitely help! Otherwise I am sitting here looking at my ceiling trying to explain the two (actually three) types of vent covers and light diffusers. :D The pictures are exactly what is meant by "eggcrate." Now why it gets that name.... :notsure:

mr_bill

Originally Posted by ophiura
Interesting...is this smiling smiley not working?
:D
I have a few that aren't working on my end.
:eek: :rolleyes: :D :) :confused: