lowering high nitrites

ajbrad

I've had my 55 reef set up for a few years now, and no problems, then suddenly an anemone died and my nitirites went up along with the ph and they won't come down. All but two fish died, have a wrasse and a damsel hanging on, shrimp, corals and crabs look great. I've done multiple 10% water changes and the ph and nitrites stay the same, everything else is fine, could use some suggestions before I give up, thanks

hnf2k

i'm not an expert but i can ask you the questions that the "experts" are going to ask you. post your readings, dont just say high or low, what are the exact numbers? ammonia? nitrites? nitrates? ph? do you have a quarantine tank? was the anemone a venemous one that when it dies it will poision the tank?

slick

If your nitrites went up then your nitrates went up or will go up too. Give us your readings.

shnookums

our tank at the office has nitrates of 20-40 for years. eveyone is happy and healthy. We do monthly water changes of 5-10 gallons. if your nitrates are higher than 40 you definitely need to do a large water change, 10% probably won't cut it.
the solution to pollution is dilution is my saying:)

turbo21

i never heard of doing a water change of 50-75% the most i ever change out of the tank if it is high is 15%

saltyrich

I think you guys are missreading the post. It is not nitrates, but NITRITES which are very bad. I would choose to argue that very high nitrites, which are killing the tank inhabitant warrants a major water change. I would minimally do a 30% change AND use some Bactervital to squash that nitraite reading. I think this would get it back in control. Use the Bactervital for at least 3 days. Things should be fine. If not do another smaller change, say 10-15% until you get a grip on it. Nitrites are not like nitrates. We can all live with a little nitrates, but not nitrites. It is poison to everything in the tank.