LOWERING PH

C

chuckm

I AM A NEW TANK OWNER 45 GALLONS THE CYCLE IS GOING WELL SO FAR BUT MY PH SEEMS A LITTLE HIGH 8.6 WATER CHANGES DONT SEEM TO WORK BECAUSE MY ALK. IS PRETTY STRONG PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS. I ALSO WANT TO KNOW WHAT AND HOW OFTEN TO FEED MY 1 YELLOW TANG 1 ROYAL GRAMMA 3 GREEN CHROMIS AND 1 BLUE DAMSEL BOOKS AND LOCAL FISH STORES HAVE DIFFERENT SUGGESTIONS

dennish

I use Kent Supperbuffer dkH, at the suggestion of my LFS where I bought some Liverock. I needed to raise mine a point or two but it should also lower it if too high since it claims to buffer from (going from memory here so I may be off) 8.0 to 8.3.
You can also get PH down, but I would think the buffer would be better.
-Dennis

the dude

Hi, im not positive about this, but i think that the buffer would help the ph remain constant, not change it so much as maintain it (or am i wrong?). But i agree that you should add a good ph buffer-and there are also chemicals that u can use to raise/lower ph-pretty much all lfs shops cary them. For feeding your fish-heres what i would do-give them as much food as they can completly eat in about 1 - 1 and a half min., twice a day. I find this helps keep waste and ammoina down as compared to feeding more once a day. Also, feed your tang some vegetable matter-see if your lfs has some kelp derived type of stuff-or lettuce. My tang loves it

fishgirl

Yellow Tang: romaine/leaf lettuce on a veggie clip, frozen brine shrimp, TetraSpirilina flakes, TetraMarin flakes, frozen dinners, spinnach leafs.
Royal Gramma: Same as tang but skip the spirilina and fresh veggies.
Asorted damsels: Same as Tang skip only the fresh veggies.
Note: Add liquid vitamins to the water weekly, that are absorbed thru the skin and fat soluable. I recomend VitaCHEM.
Much Luck!

bobsingh1

Using PH buffer when your PH is already high will not lower your PH. Here's what you do. Take about half a gallon of freshwater (distilled or RO). Take out half a gallon from your tank and add this water. Test your water for PH. Depending on your tank size, repeat this process twice a day testing water after every change until it gets to 8.2
Usually high amount of salt in water will result in a higher PH. Measure your salinity side by side. 1.022 is optimum. When I perpare my water, I usually leave it at 1.018
and use a little bit of kent marin buffer to compensate for 8.2.